1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Introduction and Jazz bass pickup combination

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fenderlover77, May 12, 2011.

1. fenderlover77

fenderlover77

May 10, 2011
    Hey, I just signed up a couple days ago to TB and am impressed with all the great info on this site.

I have a Fender Highway 1 Jazz bass stock. I love most everything about the bass - the top notch assembly, the amazing resonance, and surprisingly quiet pickups. I contemplated changing out the bridge to a heavier mass one but decided against it because a)the bass is super light and b) didn't want to change the sound too much. I also contemplated changing the nut to bone but am paranoid that it will change the sound and mess with my low action.

One thing I am going to change is the pickups and electronics. The pickups do not have as dynamic of a range as I would like and I want to upgrade the electronics to a better quality. I've read a ton of threads on TB and have come up with the following conclusions. First, I want to say that I do not want to have to buy another bass again (having bought and sold far too many for my taste trying to find a decent fit for my needs, mainly a light one because I have degenerative spinal disease and weak back muscles). I want to be able to dial in a nice vintage j-bass tone (maybe p-bass tone if I get a parallel/series switch) and also a funk and rock tone. My jazz is strung with Rotosound flats (which I love) that have nice balance across the strings. The rotos also make the bass literally vibrate - another plus. The unplugged tone is even across the tone spectrum and the pickups transmit that tone clearly and with no color. The problem is the pickups are low output and have no dynamics (the Roto's don't help the output signal either but I'm not changing those - they keep getting better with age!)

I believe I have finally come across a pickup/amp and cab combination that would work for me. First, a Nordstrand in the neck position and a Delano Jmvc at the bridge. I am looking at some high grade Allesandrio pots and capacitors and switchcraft jack. The amp would be a Gallien Krueger Rb-700 II and the cab would be a G&K Neo 2x12 or 2x10 and 1x15.

I know some coloration of tone is inevitable (especially with the Delano's) but I'm hoping there will not be too much coloration of the acoustic tone. I've read that the G&K amp and cab will give a little warmth, which is good. I'm currently playing through a hartke b600 combo, which I hated at first but have grown to appreciate.

Any thoughts on this? Any recommendations?

Thanks guys and gals

2. fenderlover77

fenderlover77

May 10, 2011
    Bump? Anyone?

3. Tommorichards

Tommorichards

Mar 22, 2011
    try it. if you dont like it, change it.

4. fenderlover77

fenderlover77

May 10, 2011
    Well, I decided to go the cheaper route for right now to see if I can get close to the sound in my head. I changed my much loved Roto flats to the discountinued Fender 7120 nylon filament strings that I found on ebay sold by musicpartsguru. There sound is closer to what I want with the new strings so I'm pretty sure that I'll stick with stock pickups and electronics. I'll use my ideas for a warmoth built jazz or something. I'm going to keep the roto's for when I can eventually buy a p-bass.