Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Introduction/Gibson EB-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 61SG, Nov 10, 2004.

1. 61SG

61SG

Nov 10, 2004
    Greetings, all.

This is my first post on Talk Bass, but I've been lurking this site for ages. Yes, I am primarily a guitar player, but I'm always interested in what's going on in the bass world. Trust me, I probably dislike guitar players as much as I'm sure you all do.

I had a chance to play a late 50s Gibson EB-1 yesterday. I can't remember the last time I was that impressed with a instrument. I could not put the thing down, honestly. At first I was a bit confused because there were no highs being produced; however, when I rolled the tone control back I realised that any high end would ruin what this bass delievers. The low end was so incredibly thick. I can't tell you how much fun I had playing that bass. Now I can't stop thinking about the bloody thing.

I would definitely like to add one of these sweethearts to my stable.

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Excellent man. I know the feeling. Last week I got to play a '58 p-bass--still owned by the original buyer. It was like the Grail of basses.
    Got to admit, I've always been fond of those early Gibsons. :cool:

3. 61SG

61SG

Nov 10, 2004
    I'm sure that P-bass must have sounded amazing. Funny thing is that when I saw the EB-1 I thought it would probably sound like my old bass player's '71 EB-0. Was I ever wrong. The same store has a '56(?) Fender Tele bass, unfortunately it is for display purposes only. Go figure.