Introduction/Gibson EB-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 61SG, Nov 10, 2004.

1. 61SG

Nov 10, 2004
    Greetings, all.

This is my first post on Talk Bass, but I've been lurking this site for ages. Yes, I am primarily a guitar player, but I'm always interested in what's going on in the bass world. Trust me, I probably dislike guitar players as much as I'm sure you all do.

I had a chance to play a late 50s Gibson EB-1 yesterday. I can't remember the last time I was that impressed with a instrument. I could not put the thing down, honestly. At first I was a bit confused because there were no highs being produced; however, when I rolled the tone control back I realised that any high end would ruin what this bass delievers. The low end was so incredibly thick. I can't tell you how much fun I had playing that bass. Now I can't stop thinking about the bloody thing.

I would definitely like to add one of these sweethearts to my stable.
  2. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Excellent man. I know the feeling. Last week I got to play a '58 p-bass--still owned by the original buyer. It was like the Grail of basses.
    Got to admit, I've always been fond of those early Gibsons. :cool:
  3. 61SG

Nov 10, 2004
    I'm sure that P-bass must have sounded amazing. Funny thing is that when I saw the EB-1 I thought it would probably sound like my old bass player's '71 EB-0. Was I ever wrong. The same store has a '56(?) Fender Tele bass, unfortunately it is for display purposes only. Go figure.