1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Introduction + need advice on bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by csacwp, Sep 27, 2009.

1. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    Hello guys (gals)...

This is my first post here although I often post on the ultimate-guitar forums.

I play electric guitar but have always admired the heart pounding lows of the bass, and I've finally gotten around to getting one.

I got a ~1990s Fender MIM P-bass. I've been trying to decide what amp to get. I'll be playing at home but I'd like to have something that can play loud if needed. There are so many options that appear to be good.

I'll be using effects (a digitech rp50) so versitility in sound doesn't matter as much. I can't stand hissing and buzzing. It also has to be under $300

Here are the amps I am currently interested in:

Peavey Max 115
    Acoustic B100
    Fender Rumble 60

I've read that a 12" speaker tends to rattle and fail under the powerful bass lows. If this is true, I guess I can rule out the Fender Rumble 60.

Between the Peavey Max 115 (60 watts, 15" speaker) and the Acoustic B100 (100 watts, 15" speaker) which would be a better choice?

If you know of a good amp like these that I didn't mention, please suggest it.

Thanks in advance

2. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Quality 12's do fine for bass. The Rumble, however, will not. Go with the Peavey, or buy used for more bang for your buck

3. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    out of those you suggested id say the b100 because its loud enough to possibly hold up to a band. if anything id try to find a used Ampeg Ba115 if possible. you MIGHT also be able to find a used 200 watt+ peavey head and a cab for that but maybe not

4. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    I've read great things about the Peavy and the Acoustic, but I don't know which one to go with. Keeping in mind that the amp will be in a small bedroom, would 100 watts be too loud? I guess I could always play the amp quietly.

5. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    always remember amps need not be turned to 11

6. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    So is they're anything that makes the Peavey better than the Acoustic? The acoustic is a good bit cheaper, so that's a plus. It's also lighter than the Peavey (which weighs over 60lbs!!!). The Peavey has those cool amp models though and the tube-like wiring. It's a hard choice.

7. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    I did a little more looking around and found the Ampeg BA112. It seems to have the best reviews out of all the amps I've looked at even though it's lonly 50 watts. Does anybody have any experience with this amp? Does it compare to the B100 or the Max 115?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BA112 is a great sounding little amp, but it will struggle if you do much jamming past coffeehouse volumes. I'd go for a 100w 115. At the lowest price points for combos that are good for jamming I like the BA115 the most. But the Acoustic is a pretty decent little combo as well. And believe it or not, those Line 6 combos are pretty decent, if a little gimmicky on the surface. But for my money, in that range the BA115 is the clear winner.

9. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    Thank you guys for your help so far. It appears that the Ampeg ba115 is the way to go, but it's almost $100 over my tight budget. Is the ba112 really that underpowered? I don't think I'm ever going to play bass at any gigs, so a practice/rehersal amp would be fine. I just don't want anything too underpowered where the speaker gets overtaken and all.

10. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    True. Sometimes they need turned to 12. :D

For the OP, out of all the options you are considering, I would go with the Acoustic B100. 100W through a 1x15 is about the minimum that I consider a real amp...plenty for anything from bedroom practice up to smaller gigs, depending on how loud the rest of your group is. That said, you may want to go to a music store and compare before you buy; different amps have different tones, and you may like the Ampeg sound better for the price. Always try before you buy with amps...

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If you will ever play with a rock drummer, get as much power as youy can afford.

12. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    for $299, I recommend the Line 6 studio 110. It is only a 10 inch speaker, but sounds much bigger. The 75 watts may get you thru a not-so-loud jam session too.

13. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    Have any of you all tried the Ampeg BA210SP?

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I had a BA210SP for less than a week. Hated it. My BA112 has been around for several years, love it. But 50 watts through a single 12" spkr is what it is. 100 watts through a 15 is a much better choice.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You'll fiorget about the money eventually, but you'll always have the amp. Besides, you can get BA115's used all over the place for your price range or less.