Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Introduction, Reverend ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pennydreadful, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Hi, everybody- I'm brand spankin new here, so I thought I'd give a little introduction before getting to my question.

I'm 17, and I've been playing for around five years now. I'm in two bands here in Texas, for which I do a lot, if not most of, the writing, and in one of them I'm also the (co-) singer. We play a kind of grunge/emo/folk/classic rock/southern/garage mix. Kinda hard to describe, but it works.

I play mostly on an Ibanez AGB140 and an ancient Teisco, which is my favourite of any bass I've ever played. Right now I'm fixing up an old Moridira hurricane.

So, that's me. I love talking bass and guitars, so I think I oughtta feel at home here.

As for my question- does anybody have a clue where I could find a Reverend Rumblefish (4-string), other than ebay?

2. JessRobinson

JessRobinson Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    I believe that there are some Rumblefishes listed on GBase. You may want to try there.

I've got a Rumblefish XL and love the heck out of it. They're getting harder to find since they're out of production. Good luck and get one now before their prices go through the roof.

3. what are reverends like i have never played one.

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I played a Brad Houser 5-string at a show and absolutely loved it. It had a really fully bassy tone, but extremely tight. I couldn't stop playing that bass, well at least until they told me to turn it down.
    I also played a P/J bass they made. I thought it was thinner sounding then the Brad Houser and didn't like it as much. Great basses, especially for the price.

5. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Thanks, everybody.
    Digidealay- visit reverenddirect.com. They only have guitar models in there, but the (now out-of-production) basses had a similar style.

6. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I checked out GBase, I think there was like one on there that didn't turn out to be sold. Still, does anybody else have any suggestions?

7. JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    You could put a want ad in Harmony Central or your local craigslist. Otherwise, be patient and keep checking eBay. It's often feast or famine on the Bay. No fish for a month, and then three will be listed in a week.

8. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I seem to recall one of the Reverend dealers (links on their website) still having a few in stock, but I've also heard that they are restricted from selling the stuff outside a particular radius.

BTW, anyone play a 5L before?

9. I owned a nice green Reverend 5L when they first came out. Killer bass. Incredible tone. Best open E string I've ever heard. I'm just not a 5-string guy, so I sold it. I still have two 4-string Rumblefish, which will be buried with me.
    Congrats on the Houser!

10. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I had a 5L. It was stolen last week. I'm so bummed...... :bawl:

11. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I had a 5L as well, silver in color. As others have said, great bass and the low B was strong. I mostly left it in series mode as the other settings sounded thin in comparison, however, I didn't take the time to experiment with an outboard pre in parallel - maybe that would have added something. But a great bass all around, wish I had tried it out with flats.

12. JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Reverends are the shizzizzle...I have a 5L, and a Houser 5...they're substantially different. The Houser neck is a little fatter, a little wider...so is the tone-though the 5L is no tone slouch.

Chris, all us Rev fans are crying with you-I'd be totally bummed. Circle your local pawn shops every day for about 2 weeks, I bet you find it there...

14. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Hey Chef, so is the Houser neck thicker front-to-back? I like the flattened oval profile, but it is chunkier than the Laklands I've owned.

Boy, was I laying it down with the BH last night! First time to take it out and it definitely has that fat, B3 vibe everyone mentions. Lovin' it.

15. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I play a 4 string Rumblefish and highly recommend them! If you have the chance to buy one don't let it go by since it's hard to find them. I've only seen one or two on Ebay in the last few months. I own an original '66 Jazz and lately have been playing the 'Fish cause I like the tone and feel.

Tony Noriega,
    Tampa

16. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    That just hurts. There are some of us who have been looking for a long time for a BH and have posts in the Wanted forum. I guess I just need to bump more often.

Congratulations, you lucky bastard. :) You have any pictures?

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't think it's thicker that way, but it's definately wider, but not in a bad way;)

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Congrats on the gorgeous bass... not to mention your good fortune! I'm kicking myself for not buying a Rev BH5 (I've said that a dozen times, but it's still true).

19. JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA