Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Introduction via Solo Bass Pieces-ERB.COM

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Edred Mitchell, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Hello to all,
    I am Edred Mitchell of Tuskegee,Alabama and new to your forum here. I have slowly been wading through your vast resource of talent,commentary and perspectives here at Talkbass.com. I have just placed some audio examples of my 6-string bass compositions online at extendedrangebassist.com.I would appreciate your opinions and critique for my development and learning purposes.Please visit and listen to them at the following link :

http://extendedrangebassist.com/ERB_EM.htm

I look forward to hearing from you and taking advantage of this wonderful forum and community of players.

2. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    That there link don't work....

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    yes it does..

4. Thanks for the listen and positive comment.Glad to be aboard.

5. Sounds great! Don't know whether or not it was done intentionally, but the bit of echoe sounds awesome. Great playing, great sound. By the way, what kind of bass do you use?

6. :bassist:

I recorded the pieces via a Mackie 1604 VLZ mixer as a front end and a Roland VS-1680 recorder. The reverb you hear was definetly intentional and a part of the mix I preferred. I use my Carvin LB76A 6-string for the performance.Thanks for your enthusiastic reaction and comment. I am encouraged by your energy and feel I have communicated some of the energy I wished to send to the listener via these compositions.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Great tunes Edred, The Brazillian is very cool... I have been working on doing some standards ala Charlie Hunter recently and discovering the complex nature of playing basslines and comp'ing chords at the same time, without going into tapping.

What material have you been shed'ing to work on the chord chops?

Oh BTW, if you have the time there is a TB bass get together happening in Nashville (end of Jan '06), here's a thread about it:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208978

8. Hello,
    You may have missed the write up at ERB on the source of my basics but here it is again. I used Steve baileys book on the six-string. That set me up with the basics on voicing and the possibilities of creating same on your own. I also used the video on six-string technique that John Pattitucci produced on six-string technique. It was especially helpful on the dampening techniques needed to do both the bas and chords together. I mus t say that a lot of the concept came to me as a result of writing and understanding good bass lines while realizing the voicing I heard versus the practicality of the sound I could realize practically at tempo. As I move forward in this area and apply more of my knowledge to standards and others compositions I am sure I will be able to share more with you. I can say that practicing cycles for chord voicings has helped lock in certain fingerings to muscle memory but in the same word I can say that fighting muscle memory and having to do things with a different fingering set-up has happened rather painfully sometimes as well. I think having a comfortably scaled instrument is essential for exploring this type of composition and technique. Too large a scale will really work against you although you may need it for slapping or other techniques you play regulary. I would suggest a special instrument for this style of playing.