1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Intronaut - Habitual Levitations

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Faultline, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Faultline

Faultline

Dec 6, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Anyone else gave this thing a listen? Joe Lester is a beast. Easily my favorite record to come out in years.

2. the_hook

the_hook

Apr 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Well after reading about Intronaut here I checked them out. I can't stand any band with growling vocals, but past that the playing is stellar.

You can hear the fretless bass work, and you know this guy has some jazz background, just by his choice of notes and rhythm. I'm glad I checked them out as I’m always looking for other bands into Prog and Metal that take it in different directions.

3. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I caught them live at a Mastodon concert. The band as a whole didn't leave a big impression on me, but Joe Lester is indeed a beast and just got a sweet new Zon.

4. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Easily one of my favorite albums of the year. I love everything this band has done.

The growling vocals are almost completely absent on Habitual Levitations.

5. the_hook

the_hook

Apr 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Yes, I noticed on some songs there aren't any. It's what kept me away from Opeth, until I learned their Heritage album was sans death vocals, and I got totally into it, and even saw them on concert last year and they were oustanding.

But those vocals have kept me from enjoying other bands like Meshuggah, etc.

6. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Opeth albums have less death vocals that you might think... particularly the last several. When you factor in their songs being often upwards of 10mins, and the death vocals only scattered in among instrumentals and clean vocals, they don't end up being particularly prominent (with some exceptions, of course).

7. Massimo636

Massimo636

Aug 3, 2011
    Resurrecting the thread to mention that their new album is awesome as well!