Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intruder from the 'other' forum

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by =^..^=, Nov 15, 2002.

1. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Well its happened - after 10 years without one I've just ordered a double bass...

I loved playing one, but hated transporting it - so after thinking about it long and hard I ordered a Steinberger...

Fortunately the UK importers ordered more than they needed so I don't have to wait for too long !

Mmmmm bassseyyy

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    ok. have fun.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Welcome to the dark side. If you can find them, you should hook up with some of the other Fudgesicle players down here...a lot of these guys have a wealth of info about the best strings, etc. I think FOGHORN started a poll in this forum a while back to help identify who's who for that very reason. Good luck.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hey PRISS, how about the Dark Castle form and troll-slaying weapon selection?

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I can't remember where I left it. Do you still have a copy? If so, feel free to go ahead and lay it on
    <<<<<GROUPWISE ADMINISTRATOR>>>>>>....he's more than welcome to join in the reindeer games.

Nice falsetto, BTW. :)

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Welcome to the fold. Glad you've decided to join us chiropractically challenged. How do you like the Gecko?...been thinking of building one for my slab gigs.

7. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
  8. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Get the to a teacher!

Welcome to the dark side.

Joe

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    cool. i play one for the gigs that will let me use it instead of a real upright...

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I didn't have to wait any time at all - I just went along to the Bass Centre in Wapping in March and they had two for me to try - they also offered to get more down from other shops.

I tried a 4 and 5 string NS CR for about an hour and walked out with the NSCR5 under my arm!! ;)

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i find the lack of heel block disconcerting on the NS. I am used to my upright- and playing by feel and hand position. The NS definitely makes you pay more attention to hand position IMO.

12. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Unfortunaely (or fortunately) I live offshore - so a walk to the Bass Centre is a bit wet for me...

Nearly went for the five instead though... Only 2 weeks to go :D

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well as you don't have your location in your profile I couldn't possibly tell that, could I!! ;)

I live in Brighton - as you can see from my profile (hint hint) - so I have to cross the Thames to get to Wapping !!

14. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I have succumbed to peer pressure at last.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Eh? Where on earth is Onchan. ? :confused:

Or are we talking somewhere odd : three-legged and tail-less? ;)

16. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Hit the nail right on the head ! I did initially change it to "The Isle of Man" - but then decided if I changed it to Onchan people might actually go have a look with Google (etc) and actually find something out about us.

When you use the word "odd" I'd guess you've been here ? :D

17. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm.....if you import a bass to the Isle of Man - say from the US - do you pay any VAT, import or custom duty? If not I would recommend getting one from Gard, as it will be much, much cheaper.

18. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Unfortunately we have all that stuff aswell - its only the base rate of tax (and allowances) which is any better than the UK.