1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Inusring your bass......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zachbass02, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zachbass02

    zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

    Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I feel like a total goof asking this question having played now for several years and having owned many basses :scowl: , how do you go about getting your basses/gear insured so that if anything happens outside of your house, your gear is covered? Is your gear covered on your house insurance? even if it is outside of the house? do I need to report anything (i.e. specific models, brands, serial #s, cost) to my insurance company for their records? I own my house and thus have home owneres insurance, car insurance, etc.....Is my gear covered? :help: any info on this topic is appreciated......
  2. Tony G

    Tony G

    Jan 20, 2006
    Your gear should be covered under home owners insurance. If you really want to know, call up your home owners insurance agent and ask. They may also recommend having a seperate insurance policy on a specifically valuable piece of gear. I like to insure any bass or amp I have worth over $1000 that I plan to use at gigs.
  3. zachbass02

    zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

    Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for the info......Fortunately, I don't have anything anymore that couldn't be replaced for around $1000. I've gotten myself set up with pro quality gear, mostly swapped out and found used, that is made to be workhorses, the way I like it......so I haven't been super worried about it......but it would give me a little more peace of mind knowing my stuff is covered should the unthinkable happen to it....
  4. TBalls


    Mar 18, 2005
    Check out MusicPro Insurance (www.musicproinsurance.com). They have great coverage and it's very reasonable. If you don't have a ton of gear your homeowners coverage might be adequate. But if you want wider coverage definitely take a look.
  5. jimbilly


    Apr 19, 2006
    Don't make small claims on your homeowners policy, they'll just raise your rates and get it back from you and a lot more.
    Throwing some $$ in an envelope every month to 'self insure' would be a better bet, then it becomes a gear fund when it's big enough.
  6. zachbass02

    zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

    Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Do you have a policy with music pro insurance? what is an average policy rate? unless I read the website wrong, they have a minimum premium of $100. Is that monthly, every 6 months, a year? how are their premiums set up? If it's $100 a year or there abouts, it would be worth it. If it's every month, seems like kind of a rip off to me unless you're playing a Ritter or a Fodera and using all super high end gear. But that would be next to unaffordable for the average working musician.
  7. Dan Knowlton

    Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

    Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I have mine covered under a homeowner's policy but will be switching to a separate policy because the homeowners does not cover instruments used for paying gigs! It does cover the instruments/gear wherever they are; car, gig, another home, .... whatever.

    I have about $25,000 worth of stuff insured and it costs me $74 a year. I have to provide them a list and serial numbers and value and they only cover what they have listed - a real pain when you have GAS.

    Unless you never do a paying gig you would probably do better with a separate policy.

    Dan K.
  8. You could join a musician's union. I joined mine for a year, before I decided not to continue, but I had basic insurance as part of my membership. They can organise specific insurances that will cover your needs, also they can probably get a good rate for you.
  9. TBalls


    Mar 18, 2005
    I do. The rate they quote is yearly, and coverage is based on the full replacement value of the equipment. I didn't know about the $100 minimum, but in general their rates are about 1% of the insured value per year (i.e., if you insure $20k worth of gear, it'll cost you $200/year). Also, you're covered under just about any circumstances -- theft, fire, if it falls out the back of your van and gets run over, etc.
    It's totally worth it.
  10. buzzz. almost never nowadays. consider yourself fortunate if it does. this is stickied.

  11. Joelc73

    Joelc73 Supporting Member

    Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Check out Clarion. They're probably one of the biggest companies that specializes in insuring musical instruments.
  12. Your music gear is not covered if you make any, even a miniscule amount of money using it. It's very inexpensive to add a small business rider on your homeowners policy though. That will cover your gear. If you make your living from your music, you will need something more comprehensive, including Business Income insurance, which will pay your lost income until you replace your gear, should anything catastrophic ever happen to your equipment. I'm an Insurance Claims Rep in Indiana. Every state is different. Call your homeowners or rental insurance agent NOW and speak to them about adding that rider to your insurance. It shouldn't cost much at all - maybe $25 a month - for the small business rider.
  13. bolo


    May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I use MusicPro Insurance too. I did not go the homeowner's route since as others have stated, if you make any $ with your gear, it's usually difficult / expensive / impossible to insure it adequately w/ homeowner's. That's what my insurance agent told me anyway.

    Anybody ever file a claim with these folks at MusicPro? I'm hoping nobody's had any bad experiences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page