1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Invasion of privacy>>>>Broker wants to track my phone(Trucking Dilemma)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FunkHead, Mar 2, 2016.

1. No way! That''s a huge invasion of Privacy.

29 vote(s)
    96.7%
  2. Sure. Why not? What's the worst that could happen?

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I am a Tractor trailer driver.

So, I was going to pull a load of Chickens from North Carolina to Pennsylvania.

The Shippers Broker demanded that I install an Ap on my phone so they could track me. This would allow them to ping my phone at any time to see where I was.

God only knows what else they could be doing to my phone. I have heard that they can even listen to your calls and view you through your Phones Camera.

I refused and they took the load away from me.

What would you do????

Edit: To be clear, this s my personal phone(Not Company Provided) Also, the Truck has It's own tracking devices and My company always know where the truck is.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have no idea if what they wanted was legal, but if it was I wouldn't care. I have nothing to hide and a job is a job. I like money.

Munjibunga likes this.
  3. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I could understand that kind of tracking with a "sensitive" or high dollar load. Chickens? Come on.

Gaolee and FunkHead like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How much is a truck load of chickens worth? Probably not chump change. It's money.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Don't trucks like that already have gps?

pcake likes this.
  6. I would get a disposable pre-pay phone, and leave it turned on, while fully charged, and mail it to my friend in Helsinki, and have them charge it up, and send it back. Let the broker wonder what their load was doing in Finland.

sissy kathy, fdeck, carl h. and 9 others like this.
  7. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Yes Sir. My Company always knows where I am. This is the Broker wanting to track my personal phone.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What reason did they give? To see where you are right? So they can't access your location the same way your company does? Why would they want to access anything else?

9. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Exactly. They also asked my Company to let them track my truck VIA the Trucks Qualcom system. My company refused and lost the load.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's weird. Is the other company well known and established? Is asking to monitor your location like that common practice in trucking?

11. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    If wants to track the chickens, he should track the chickens, not you.

12. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I assume they are pretty established. They are called GTO 2000.

13. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Very True. I often transport Black-Berries which have a tracking devise inside the trailer.

14. Not sure what the distinction is between your company (is it yours, or who you work for?) and "the broker". In other words, I don't know how the trucking biz works.

That said, in my free market world view, somebody hiring someone to do a job has the right to require whatever they want. Somebody looking to get the gig has the right to refuse, or negotiate terms more acceptable to them. If the two parties cannot agree, they move on.

Sounds like that is what happened here.

Example:
    Bar wants to hire a band that will play Mustang Sally.
    Band won't play Mustang Sally.
    Bar hires a band that will play Mustang Sally.
    Everybody wins.

ChrisB2 likes this.
  15. Mktrat

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Chicken loads, while not cheap to many, are a cheaper load within the industry. Fish, seafood, and beef can be really big money. Spices and seasonings can add up quickly as well.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  16. Mktrat

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    They probably track your trailer temp also, right?

17. And for what it's worth, I'd likely pass on the job unless I was really hard up for work.

FunkHead and bholder like this.
  18. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I highly doubt that a temporary gps tracking app would give the user the ability to record with your camera or make long distance calls on your device. I wouldn't sweat it unless my government insisted on it. Probably just eliminates contacting the middle man of your trucking company for them to see where you and the load currently is.

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I agree. Even if they could monitor more than location, why would they? What's their motive? This company is paying for the service of transporting chickens, right? What do they have to gain by potentially monitoring a driver's phone calls, texts, internet usage, and camera footage?

20. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That seems very, very wrong to me. If my employer asked to track my personal cell phone, I'd tell them no and change the number and not give it to them ever again. None of their (bleep)ing business.