1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Invasion of privacy>>>>Broker wants to track my phone(Trucking Dilemma)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FunkHead, Mar 2, 2016.

1. No way! That''s a huge invasion of Privacy.

29 vote(s)
    96.7%
  2. Sure. Why not? What's the worst that could happen?

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Perhaps they're worried he'll choke the chicken. Exactly what you don't want them knowing. ;)

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yes sir. There are Temp recorders on most loads. They can also be downloaded to a PC or Smartphone.

3. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Somebody had to say it.:) I knew it was coming when I started the Thread.

samson3382, yodedude2 and bholder like this.
  4. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I would refuse to comply, but I see nothing wrong with the request. Does that make sense? No? To me, the person hiring can make up their own rules (within what is legal), but the person working can walk away. As it should be IMO.

5. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I refused based on the recommendation of persons much more tech savvy than me. Cell/Smart phone Privacy is a continuously evolving and highly debatable topic. There's probably some risk to your personal information(Bank info, Sensitive information, etc...)
    Then there's also the Principal. I am sure that some people are overly paranoid but some are also not being careful enough.

ChrisB2, ONYX and JMacBass65 like this.
  6. This. I am simultaneously paranoid and careless. I pay all bills on line, and frequently do so on public WiFi, which is really stupid as I understand it.

On the other hand, I think the NSA could be watching everything we do on our mobile devices, and that freaks me out.

In time I'll be back to a flip phone......

FunkHead likes this.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nope. Not on my personal phone. If it's their trailer, they should have their own tracking device on it.

8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yes transporting spice is expensive. The Harkonens get a cut.

Rich Fiscus, Febs, GKon and 3 others like this.
  9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    "Sorry, I don't own a cell phone."

Really---I don't. If someone needs to contact me that bad, they can send out the tracking dogs.

Of course, I realize that they are a necessity in some peoples line of work.

10. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Certainly much less than say, a truck full of computers.

No, they don't get to track me after I'm off the clock. The whole "nothing to hide" thing is stupid. There is no reason for them to need to know my whereabouts when I'm not working. Absolutely none.

11. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Just a thought here: is there a problem in the trucking industry where bona fide drivers sell loads to a driver who, let's say, doesn't have insurance or something?

Do they want to make sure it is really YOU driving the truck?

Downunderwonder likes this.
  12. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Apple phone would give the app only the rights you accept individually.

For example, when it attempts to read your your location, a prompt comes up for allowing location tracking.

Separate prompt for phone.
    Separate prompt for contacts.
    Separate for health data.

You could say no to any one of these.

BUT that is only true for apps that you download from Apple's store. Every app has to follow their rules which will provide the prompts as described above. So you would only worry that they would track your location anytime the phone was powered on once you allowed the tracking the first time. You could turn it off in settings, then back on when you start driving. I have no idea if that would be against their expectations that you allow tracking at all times.

For IPhone where the app is installed outside of Apple's app store, you would most likely get a link to install the app. It would go to the company's website and ask if you wanted to trust the company. Once you did that all bets are off. The app does NOT go through Aple's app review and could do whatever the heck it wanted as you are questioning.

Android apps are the same problem. The app may do who knows what.

I think a biz designated phone you acquire or are provided is the only way to stay private and oblige the emoloyer.

I would not install these things on a personal phone. If I was in truckng I would have two phones. One used only for that purpose and keep other private.

Just my $.02.

13. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    If theys a chicken farmers theya a probably a gud ole 'Murican too. Ask them why the facist policy and 'vasion of private constitutional rites!

DiabolusInMusic and Mktrat like this.
  14. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    As I'm reading it, you only need to have the app on your phone for the duration of carrying that company's load? If thats just a few days, you can remove it when you drop the load

15. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    This. The broker may have had loads disappear in the past, so, I understand why he would want to track the load's location. But it seems to me that any "broker" who has been in the business for a while would know this. Maybe he's too cheap to buy his own tracking device or he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Either way, it may be better that you didn't get involved with him.

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The nothing to hide thing might be stupid. Depends how much the job is worth to someone.

17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Firstly - the tracking apps can usually be turned on and off. That would be the type of app to use.

Second - there are quite a few low-cost vehicle trackers available. Most plug into the vehicle's ODB port under the dash and can be tracked easily.

18. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    So no more pit stops at 'those' ranches in Nevada?

I'd have told them to pound sand. I won't work for an employer who needs access to my personal possessions, and that includes my cell phone.

FunkHead likes this.
  19. I would struggle with this decision too, but I realize this is where we're going. I also feel that it's appropriate to track a load, but I have real trouble with tracking the driver personally. I agree with others that your personal devices should not be subject to an employer tracking them - unless they provide the device. In that case, I'd make my own decision about using their phone or buying one myself.

At the most, if I agreed to use the app, I would uninstall it immediately after delivering the load.

FunkHead likes this.
  20. Could you swap phones with your wife and swap sim cards too? Then they could wonder why their chickens went to the hairdressers instead of the interstate.