1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Invasion of privacy>>>>Broker wants to track my phone(Trucking Dilemma)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FunkHead, Mar 2, 2016.

1. No way! That''s a huge invasion of Privacy.

29 vote(s)
    96.7%
  2. Sure. Why not? What's the worst that could happen?

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Why was them tracking your truck's GPS not enough? The chickens are in your truck, correct? So wouldn't they want to keep tabs on that and not on you?

I would also not have agreed.

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The Broker is basically a middle man. My trucking Co. always knows where the truck is.
    The Broker can track two ways:
    1> Access the Companies GPS or
    2> A Tracker on the drivers' Cell Phone.
    My Company refused to let them Link to their Qualcom System and I refused to let them install a tracking AP on my Phone.
    The Broker then refused to let us pull the Load of Chickens.

Traditionally, Drivers would just call the Broker at requested intervals but that wasn't good enough for GTO 2000 (The Broker)

GKon likes this.
  3. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I'm curious why your trucking company wouldn't allow the broker to track your rig. Is that common practice in the industry to NOT allow tracking?

4. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Not many companies want to allow tracking. I can only guess on their reasoning but I don't know for sure.

BadJazz and GKon like this.
  5. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Thanks for explaining.

In that case, I would put the responsibility in your company's hands, in regard to tracking a load on their truck. Since they didn't want to
    allow the Broker to track the load using the truck's GPS, I, like you, wouldn't allow the Broker to track my personal phone. If it was a company
    phone, sure, but not a personal phone.

6. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks, I feel the same way.

GKon likes this.
  7. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Mind you, like you I have no idea if, when tracking my phone, they could track all of my personal info.
    I'd be freaked out, like you, that they could.

However, I believe that is beside the point in that it's your companies responsibility to have their cargo
    tracked. If you were and independent contractor, it would be a different story.

Also, if I knew 150% that my personal info couldn't be tracked, I MAY have considered it but likely not,
    which leads me to my next questions.

You said you and your company lost that particular job. Did that reflect negatively on you
    with your company? Did they hold that against you? Did you lose money, or did they just find you a different
    load with a different Broker?

8. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    That's a great question. I technically am losing money because I am sitting home tonight instead of driving. However, My Dispatcher(Aka my Boss) will find me another load pretty quickly.
    Usually I am driving my tail off and away from home so I don't mind.
    I did offer to report in verbally as often as the broker required but no dice.
    I don't think my Dispatcher will hold this against me even a little bit. He is truly the best boss I have ever had.

One Drop, JMacBass65 and GKon like this.
  9. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I figured you technically lost money because you lost the load, but I was wondering if you got another load and how quickly.

The fact that your Dispatcher is ok with it and didn't hold it against you, meaning he'd hold back other work from you, and the fact that
    you're happy to be home right now, makes me feel you made the right decision.

When you spoke to your Dispatcher about it, what did he say? Did he make any indication as to how he felt about your decision?
    Do you think this particular case warrants you talking with him about possibly getting a company phone so that you, and he,
    don't lose this type of job in the future?

And, out of curiosity, do you know why your dispatcher refused to let the Broker track the GPS on the truck?

10. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    www.idriveglobal.com

Have them install one of these products on your truck on their dime. That way they are getting your driving data (which I'm sure you don't mind), but once you're off the clock or walk away from the truck they can't track you personally.

Full disclosure: That's a friend's company. I don't get anything...

FunkHead likes this.
  11. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    He was immediately behind me saying that he didn't blame me one bit.

I have never been asked to let my phone be tracked before so I think it's very rare. I will recommend that my Company keep a phone or two available for just this purpose.

He did not say why he would not let them track the trucks Gps.

GKon likes this.
  12. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Since he was immediately behind you, GREAT! Seems like it is a one-off situation. I guess if it means enough to your Company, they'll
    consider getting a phone.

Thanks again for the details. Glad to know that it worked out for you and that your Dispatcher was on your side with your decision.
    Enjoy your time off with your family!

FunkHead likes this.
  13. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    ^^^^Thanks^^^^

GKon likes this.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    The high points...

Carrier=the one providing the transportation for a load of goods. Contracted by the broker to pick up and deliver said goods.

Broker=the middle man. They buy goods for clients and arrange transportation for same to a destination of their customers choosing. Most perishable items are handled by third party brokers.

Driver=individual who operates the vehicle under the authority of the carrier. A driver can also own their own truck which they lease to a carrier and operate under that authority, or a driver can be fully independent and obtain their own authority to operate a personally owned truck.

When a driver signs for a load, they are personally responsible for that load. In an odd legal sense, the driver owns the load when they sign for it even though they do not own the tuck in which it will be transported. The broker obtains a load, advertises it on a specialized network and dispatchers for the transport company buy or bid on those loads. The broker can specify pretty much whatever conditions they want, but as is the case here, transporters and drivers are free to refuse to accept those conditions. Sounds like a broker mis repped a load and then tried to bluff their way into getting additional conditions accepted. While not unusual, such changes are usually along the lines of modifying from palleted goods to a floor load with an increase in payout to cover the additional cost of loading and unloading, but i never heard of a broker wanting additional tracking, especially on a drivers personal phone.

As a business man, i'd agree to that condition only if the broker would release me from legal responsibility for their load. Since it's against the law for a driver to haul a load without the proper paperwork, signed by the driver, a broker taking responsibility for the load is illegal and precludes me from accepting their load.

That said, i've never heard of this being done, but it's been a long time since i was helping my dad with his little trucking company, so it may be an accepted practice these days, but i can't imagine why since the truck owner could track and give the broker periodic status reports.

15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    if this happens again, get a monthly cell phone. put no data in it except for the phone number to your trucking company, then put the app in that phone. leave it in the truck when you leave the cab.

btw, i think it's creepy that they want to track you in addition to already being able to track the truck. did you ask them why they needed / wanted to do that?

Photobassist likes this.
  16. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Tracking the truck is enough.

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Perhaps they don't want to share data that could be used against them in a lawsuit.

I'm guessing the broker is using this software, because somebody sold it to them, feeding off of natural paranoia. There are a lot of paranoid-authoritarian people in small businesses.

Like others have said, get a "burner" phone, and use it for this purpose only. The app could be harvesting all of your contact information, which might be useful to the broker. The tracking feature might be a red herring.

sissy kathy likes this.
  18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    not if the OP wants work through that particular broker.

19. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    OP, have you considered that there are thousands if not more of OTR drivers that don't get rest, who try to drive straight through to wherever their final destination is? It's a result of the WalMart driver hitting Tracy Morgan and killing the other passenger and the hub bub surrounding that situation that is making these bonding companies skittish. I'm pretty sure you're not hopped up on bennies and caffeine flying up and down I-95 but there are many drivers who are. They might only want to see if you are taking pit stops, resting and otherwise keeping yourself and their investment safe. On the subject of phone tracking GPS, one afternoon in Philly some silly assed teens robbed a subway passenger of her brand new iPhone 6 but the thieves didn't know she had an app on it called "Find My Phone" which led the police directly to the home the jerks were at and to their arrest. Did you try to delve into why or did you just make presumptions? I have the FMP app on my GalaxyS5 and my wife has it on her iPhone 5S. It's no more than a GPS tracker and since we've been using the app no other program has been accessed by it and we've had absolutely no problems associated with it. As always YMMV:cool:

20. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    That is definitely food for thought. FMP is a little different than a 3rd party tracking Ap from a trucking broker. But in either case there is trust involved and possibly an associated risk.