1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Invasion of privacy>>>>Broker wants to track my phone(Trucking Dilemma)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FunkHead, Mar 2, 2016.

1. No way! That''s a huge invasion of Privacy.

29 vote(s)
    96.7%
  2. Sure. Why not? What's the worst that could happen?

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Actually the Broker was not able to track the truck. Only my company could do without that letting the broker access to our Tracking system. At least that's the way I understand it.
    They told me the reason for tracking my phone was to avoid delays in status updates as to the whereabouts of the freight(Frozen Chickens).
    It sounds innocent enough but I declined.
    I honestly do not know enough about Cell phone tracking but chose to avoid any risk.

2. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    How long of a route was this?

3. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    This would have been about 13 hours start to finish.

4. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area

Well yes, but I'm saying tracking the load by the trailer is enough to do what the broker needs without altering the driver's personal belongings.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Potential abuse would be to verify if you were off course or exceeding HOS In the event of an accident.

Or it might just be a way to better track cost per mile.

6. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Would that be a straight through one day trip? I obviously don't know the rules of the road, but it would seem that if it were multi day delivery I can at least understand them wanting up to date info. The phone part still wigs me out, though.

7. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I am driving at night when people are asleep. I normally call in to the broker at 8 AM or when I get Loaded/Empty. I guess with the phone tracker, they could view a status report when the got to work in the morning. I believe tracking is a great thing but I feel it should be in the trailer with the freight and not on my phone.

blue4 likes this.
  8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    It's only where you're going if you all let it happen.

Giving up all personal rights and worker protections is avoidable and a huge step backwards.

I would not do it in a million years.

9. I had a broker try this last year. I was already loaded and had the bill of lading. I refused the personal phone tracking. Large carriers like Shneider or Maverick already offer the broker a track your package option through their website. Electronic logs will be mandatory soon enough and each carrier can decide how much information they wish to share. I know as an occasional Amazon customer, I like being able to track my package.

10. Using personal items to accomplish your job is a no-no in my book.

I was once let go from a job, because I refused to let the owner of the company borrow my vehicle & use it for errands.
    The guy is a freakin' millionaire & he was too damn tight to just buy or rent another vehicle.
    I also know he would have given the keys to one of his minions & they would have destroyed my vehicle. I'd seen them do it to the accountant's vehicle already.

At first he just mumbled about it, but eventually he got around to cutting my pay & I walked on my own. Thinking about it now, I was pretty stupid to do that, because then he was legally able to withhold my demobilization fee.

So, I guess it depends on how hard up you are for the job.
    Apparently you're not, so that's a good thing.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GTO 2000 - "Fully integrated computerized load tracking and dispatch system." Seems to me they could put their own tracking device on the load. Anyway, you had a choice - let them track your phone or don't take the load. They made it for you.

12. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    The broker, who wants to track OP's phone, cannot track the truck.

It's my guess that the broker has a software program that can take the input from the phone's app and automatically document everything about the transportation, making it easier for the broker to create and maintain records. Instead of physically taking "update" phone calls from the driver and physically logging the data, a computer logs everything while the broker plays Candy Crush... or whatever he does on his computer when he's not working.

I can't see any obvious reason to be concerned, but I still wouldn't allow it on my personal phone.

13. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I understand the whole I got nothing to hide but even though I don't have anything to hide I don't want my personal phone tracked. It's for my personal use and people are crazy if the wrong person gets their hands on this I don't want them tracking me. Also there's no reason they need to use the drivers personal phones they can

A. Provide a phone with the app
    B. Print bar codes and the driver can scan the chickens cages to track them.
    C. Get a tracking device for the chickens cages or even chickens.

If they track my phone and watch what I do and they see me on TB they could be guitarists or drummers! And when they hear all the stuff we say about drummers and guitarist it will be awkward to face them.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    blue4 and BadJazz like this.
  14. I mentioned that it's where we're going in terms of tracking devices being increasingly common. Pretty soon they will be so omnipresent that hopefully the question about adding tracking to a personal device will be superfluous. But the issue of tracking is already here, as this thread illustrates.

We can all clearly foresee that battles about the issue of personal device tracking will occur with great frequency in the near future.

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I see, sorry. I was only thinking about the wider issue.

With more and more connected devices the issue of tracking people shouldn't really exist except for in extraordinary circumstances or professional situations, IMO.

Pilgrim likes this.
  16. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Yeah, didn't the chickens have phones that they could download the app to?

17. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    The broker probably never saw, let along got their hands on, the load.

Somebody called the broker, saying they had a load of chickens that need to go from A to B & when. Broker calls trucking company who looks for available trucks & drivers that can do the job. Trucking company dispatches a driver, who picks up load at A & delivers it to B. The broker may never get within 1000 miles of the chickens to be able to put a tracker on them.

Munjibunga likes this.
  18. Another reason NOT to have a smart phone, tools trying this garbage.

19. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Well, your phone is not theirs. What they can do is provide their own smartphone and put it in with the chickens. The broker can get a metro pcs or straight talk account for $30 a month, but want the driver's to foot that bill.
    There is nothing contractually on paper that requires you to let them install an app on your phone. You could discuss this with a law firm if you want to pursue it for damages.

FunkHead likes this.
  20. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    And as for the poll questions, it's not an invasion of privacy. Even if the app did literally nothing else but provide a GPS location back to them on a regular basis, they are coercing you to give them permission to use your personal property, the smartphone, for their benefit.

It's personal property. What if they stepped into your cab took out a bag filled your personal property and then asked to wear some of your shirts and shoes (not company provided uniforms or shoes), use your coffee mugs (not company provided coffee mugs), and toothbrush (not company provided) but you'll get them all back once the chickens are delivered. And if you don't let them use them, you don't get to deliver the load. Even though you'll get them get all back after the trip is concluded, they don't have the right to use your personal property for their benefit.
    You could get with other truck drivers to open a class-action lawsuit since their actions aren't focused just on you.