1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Inventors Welcome!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by acubass, Sep 22, 2008.

1. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    O.k. so this is what I want. please tell me why it isn't possible.

This is a device or object that has one 1/4" input as well as a speakon input. It is no larger than a lunchbox. It's purpose it to accept the output of an amp to make the load go from 8 oms to 4 ohms to get the full power out of any head when it is connected to an 8 ohm cabinet.

The point would be not to have to carry an extra cabinet to get full power out of your amp, yet be portable enough to make it plausible and desireable.

2. I think this question has been asked before and the answer IIRC is that the power has to be dissipated in some form, and in the case of the lunchbox design, it would probably get very hot

i could be wrong

EDIT: I also believe that if you have two 4 ohm loads, the power just gets divided among the two loads, so no matter what, you are still only getting half the power to your cab.

Also i would assume thats why the lunchbox would heat up--you are sending half your power to it

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Exactly. There are already several load boxes on the market, but all that power has to go somewhere, and in this case the power is dissipated as heat. You cannot make the amp send its full 4 ohm power into the 8 ohm cab.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You can actually get fairly close with an impedance matching transformer like this one:
    http://www.glockenklang.de/en/products/bass_systems/impedance-transformer.htm

You'd have to ask Glockenklang what the typical insertion loss is, then decide if the small power gain is worth the expense and hassle.