IOD owners please read.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timv, Jun 22, 2002.

1. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    From reading the owners manual it sounds like I should be able to get a mellow overdrive starting with the drive control around 12 o'clock. My preamp doesn't have any overdrive at all until you turn it all the way up and then it is really muddy and sounds like @#$@! I do get a nice clean sound with the drive set at about 2 o'clock and the blend centered and then I still use my boss odb3 pedal for distortion. Is that how others preamp works too? Also, whats the bias setting supposed to be for the el84's. Mine was biased really cold when i got it. Does someone have schematics for this thing? If so, could you e-mail them to me?
  2. Link to SWR Bias Method

This bias method was from a series a emails between two TB'ers. I assembled it into something more readable and a step by step reference.

There is theory that reducing the bias to the lower end of the allowable range will allow the EL84 pair to grind up faster.

Your IOD behaves exactly the same as does mine. The drive has to be nearly 100% up to get anything out of it. The adjustment is VERY touchy, and is known to wander as the unit comes to full operating temperature. If your IOD is rack mounted, the temps will be hotter and things will change more.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    mine starts crunching before 12 o'clock. if i don't want distortion - there should be no difference in sound between right before it starts distorting how it's biased now, and right before it starts distorting when i bias it so it crunches later, right?

i have drive set at about 10 and blend at half, and it's the best clean sound in the world :)
  4. Yeah, but yours is fresh from the SWR repair center...