Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Iowa

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just got Slipknot's Iowa...it's only the third CD I can listen to all the way through in one sitting. I think it's a great CD, regardless of what Rolling Stone says. It's filled with visceral drums, some seriously savage guitar work, and this time around, the bass can be heard in the mix (big friggin yahooz in that department). I think they did it again. Well, that is, if you thought they did it the first time.

Personally, I found the 15 minute anti-opus that is Iowa to be the most powerfull track, with it's almost entirely drum/bass groove (yes groove) that made me take notice. Over all, I think that Iowa is every bit the CD that the first one was. Though, this time around, I think that they are a little more polished, be that good or bad.

I dig it all to heck. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns (that I listen to this:D)?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Awesome cd. Im just gald it wasnt a jumbled mess. Its pretty good.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i thought it was heavier than there last. none the less it kicks ass. your right about being able to hear the bass now. it still gets lost in the mix a lot but he does have a groove or two in there now.

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i will be getting it. I have one of their CDs but i dunno if its their first or second album its the one with sic and wait and bleed its cool

5. PowerMad

PowerMad

Aug 6, 2001
    Iowa is a great album...I especially liked their remix of gently...it was better than the first time they did it. I also like no. 11 alot(can't think of the name right now)

overall: an amazing contribution to the metal world and to my cd collection

6. SLIPKNOT ... YEAHHHHHHHH

i love the new cd also, i've listened to it 1-2 times a day sience it came out on tues. :D

7. IOWA is probably the best album I've bought in a LONG time...right up there with LATERALUS. This album is the first album times 10....no joke. every song kicks major ass. I really dig Paul's lines on the title track and "gently".....I also like the drum-n-bass beats on "my plague".

So basically, this CD isnt leaving my player for a LOOOOONG time...:cool:

8. i went to try and download the new single "left behind", but i found several 4:08 versions and several 5:40 versions....i am confused....(before a mp3 debate starts, i would like to say i usually download mp3s before buying the cd, to see if i want it or not).

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's the 4:05 version. That particular song is the "Wait and Bleed" of Iowa, pretty melodic, and considerably more accessable than a lot of the other tracks. It's a good starting point, I suppose.

10. berserk

berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    This is by far better than the first cd. I especially like the new guitar sound. I spent the very last of my cash on it and now I dont have money for food. Im calling it the Slipknot diet. I've already lost five pounds and it hasnt even been a week. I did the same thing when the tool cd came out. I have to say its well worth it. :p

11. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I don't mean to sound like a pompous ass, but "Wait and Bleed" is on the self-titled album. I think his bass playing gets lost in the mix so much cause he uses so much lows and low-mids, which is cool cause twang sounds really stupid in combination with such brutal music - with cryptopsy as the exception.

12. If you would have read the whole post, he clearly said it "is the Wait and Bleed OF Iowa", not Wait and Bleed of (of the CD) Iowa.

13. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Oh ok, now that it's ot 4 in the morning and I'm coherant, I understand. And he's right.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like it! They have honed their aggressive skills to an amazing point.

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    "Wait and Bleed"? Personally, I liked "Spit It Out" better.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My favorite off the last album was Prosthetics, and Purity (yeah, I was one of the lucky ones...), with Wait and Bleed, Diluted, and ...well, the rest of the album. The only song I really didn't like was Scissors. Other than that, I think it was one of the best albums I own.

17. I liked the first album, I love this one. Brutal, fast and noisy..so good.

No excuses for the cynics to call it nu-metal now:D.

18. Id like them a lot more if the singer would stop screaming so much. I actually like the music.

19. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Purity and Prosthetics are my favorits off the old CD. Is the CD like the song "The Heretic Anthem", because if it is, I'm not going to buy it.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I consider Heretic Anthem the low point of the new album.