Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ip relay/trs scams and pranks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Apr 15, 2005.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I just started working as a RO a mont or so ago, and since I've been doing a lot of research about free public relay services and abuses, such as Nigerian scams and pranks. Once I started this job, I didn't realize how widespread this abuse was, but since its been an overwhelming concern of mine. Is anyone aware of what is going on or got anything to add?

For those who do not know, relay is a public service intended for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech disabled, in which relay operators relay the conversation between deaf and hearing users.

~Patrick

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
  3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Interesting. Where did you come across this site? It seems alot of them are using just recycled names and methods.

~Patrick

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    We get that scam at work just about every day. It happened at the last place I worked too. Unfortunatley, federal regulation makes it difficult to shut down. We just give em the run around until they realize they're getting nowhere.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    At the huge risk of losing my job, I'll put it like this. Why would these companies want to stop something that gives them a huge chunk of their money from the government, and of course govt officials must keep their large contributors pleased, too.

~Patrick