1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IP310 Preamps again

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    Just wondering what your experiences thus far have been with the berg ip310's. What preamps have gotten you the vintage tubey sound? And what preamps are so good live that you can really dial in the sound you want in any room even in the most bass heavy stages? If any of you have sealed cabs how does the ip310 compare to those like nv610 or ampeg 810?

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Please for the viewing audience describe "tubey" so that we are talking on the same planet"). Do you mean "SVT like" or Alembic F1X like? One player"s warm is another's muddy. I am a huge Summit fan and to me it's tubey. I have abhorred sterile SS amps yet I find an EA stack to be quite warm with a Roscoe 5 with as AG pre. I did a review of pres I'd tried with the Berg IP and I have some additions and clarifications.
    The Joe Meek pre I used really cops the old Fender Bassman vibe. Not clear at all but that great Motown 50s 60s rock and R&B sound.
    When testing pres on an IP310 it's capabilities for frequency reproduction are so wide that it does make some pres sound limited and so maybe deficient when they aren't. This is why so many seem to enjoy the Alembic which is quite old school sounding.
    The Demeter HPB-1. First I tried the VTB-201S. Really tubey and old school. After stating that the HPB-1 sounded like a "bass amp" I have fallen in love with it and own one. When I stated that, it was a combination of a not great sounding bass, the IP212 a great sounding cab, and some bizarre eq. on the HPB-1. Mostly it was the ill sounding bass. I find that the HPB-1 is quite Hi Fi and old school. I have found that it tames the lows of my Roscoe. You know that they have such lows that Lucifer is complaining of cracking plaster down there. I can actually turn up the bass on my Roscoes to add flavor when before it was a no no because of all the extra bass. Try the Demeter as it has a parametric for the bass and mids so you could tame the lows live.
    If you rethink your eqing from you prior rigs you can assume you will have all the lows you need and concentrate on the other freq.
    Your question seems like you are aiming for an SVT sealed cab sound 6x10 or 8x10 sound. It's really possible but why not just get one. The NV610s are coming out Feb. Mar.
    One earlier poster replaced his SVT and 8x10 with a Berg IP310 though. Understand that unlike other rigs they sound like the pre and bass you put through them.