1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IP310 vs IP212 vs IP112+HT112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Nov 9, 2006.

1. IP310

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. IP212

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. IP112+HT112

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. You're a madman, keep what you have now

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I'm thinking I may ditch my DB750 and Schroeder in the near future for something from the Berg IP series. I'm definitely still keeping my NV215, and I'm gonna find a Mesa D-180 for it, for some old-school, distorted, heavy bass. The IP would cover most everything else. I play rock, basically, but some slap, funk, etc. from time to time. I think the IP310 is what I want, but I'm not entirely sure. How does it compare to the IP112, with and without an extension cab? And how does an IP112 w/ an extension cab compare to the IP212? What should I go for?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Both of the IP Large cabs are bigger and more open sounding than the IP112/EX112 (not that the IP112 stack is a slouch in said categories, either). Conversely, the IP112/EX112 is a bit more focused and controlled sounding (though again, not that these are issues with the IP212/IP310, IMEH/IMHO).

The IP310 and IP212 are most definitely quite similar, but I find the 212 to have a bit more midrange character and fingerstyle texture, with the IP310 being a bit faster sounding on the highs, and a little more deep/round in the lows (though in actuality, it goes no deeper). They are both really close in overall tonality, IME/IMHO. And both sound "bigger" than the IP112/EX112, but otherwise, the tone of the smaller stack is pretty similar, too.

It's a tough call, but I don't think that there really is a wrong answer.

And great move on keeping the NV215! :bassist:

Tom.

3. well the IP112/EX stack is going to be easier to move around by yourself.

I think it comes down too if you want something more light weight and portable or if you can afford to cart around something heavy then go with the 310 or 212.

I'd rather a big cab, but got a HT/EX112 stack for portability really.

I'd go the 212, i love 12's