1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

iPad/tablet-based POS systems

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Mar 19, 2013.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Anyone have any experiences on using tablet-based POS systems? Any thoughts, particularly in a retail environment, are appreciated. How was the sales interface and did it support any inventory management? Which system was it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Yep, I'm using Square to sell merch for my band. Great (simple) interface, no inventory management, that I know of.

3. Just square, well I have it set up, but I haven't sold anything yet.

lowsound

4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Why not go to the Apple Store and ask what they use? They use tablets and iPhones for sales.

5. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    We use Vend, which is a cloud based cross platform POS & inventory control system. It also links in with Xero, an accounting suite of the same variety. We use it mostly on a desktop, but its quite functional on an iPad/tablet etc.

Both are constantly in development, so there are some small hangups every now and then, but the positives outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

Another big bonus is that Vend also links with an online shop backend program called shopify, which is extremely useful. All your items can be uploaded and displayed on an online store with very minimal input, all your sales are automatically routed through your normal POS system, and it keeps track of all your stock pretty effortlessly.

Let me know if you have an questions, but I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for something that will handle inventory control as well. It has a lot of handy features (like the ability to populate orders based on stock levels, etc.) and handles variations on a single product quite well. The online shop side of things is very functional as well if you want to go that way.

It's an online subscription based software (you pay for how many items you have essentially) and so it is always being developed, which is both a good and a bad thing. The team are quite good though, if you have a question or something has gone haywire on you, normally you can get in touch with somebody and get it sorted out fairly quickly.

6. rdcowan

rdcowan

Aug 13, 2009
    Central Texas
    Square for iPad has some inventory listing ability. Not sure what you are looking to do with your inventory.

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    No experience as a retailer, but I have run across it a few times as a consumer.

The best encounter I've had with it is at a restaurant called "Stacked" where nearly all ordering and interactions revolve around it. Each table gets an iPad with a fully customizable menu and you order food directly through it, no servers unless you tap something in. Pay your bill through it too.

On the flip side, there's a local taco shop that has credit card access through a tablet. It mostly makes the place look slightly less professional, although I've personally had no issues with it in terms of improperly billing me.