1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

iPhone 4 noise on my GK-MB115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rsh5932, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rsh5932

rsh5932

Jan 22, 2012
    Hello, I'm new to this forum, but I have been knowing this forum for a few months. I have researched a lot on this forum and I gotta say that this forum is absolutely amazing.

Anyway, I have a brand new GK-Mb115 combo amp. Bought it from MF, received it on January 5th, 2012. When I first received it, I noticed a very high pitch dat-dat-dat sound from the amp and soon I figured out that the amp was catching my iPhone's signals and turning into the annoying dat-dat-dat sound. As I expected, if I turn my iPhone into airplane mode or put my iPhone far away from the amp, then the high pitch sound goes away.

Check this article: Why your clock radio is all abuzz about your iPhone - O'Reilly Broadcast

I sent an email to GK, MF, and went to the nearest GC so far. MF said if there's any problem with the amp, then they will happily to exchange or refund it. GC said it might be the shielding problem or just this specific model's problem. GK said "I'm at NAMM so don't bother my happy time" (just kidding. GK said "I will be out of the office until 01/25/12 due to the NAMM show. I will be checking emails on a limited basis and will respond to you as soon as possible.")

Well, apparently I'm waiting for GK to give me an answer. So, does anyone have the same issue as I have? or does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying high pitch dat-dat-dat sound?

Thank you for reading and have a nice day.

2. Don't keep your phone on your amp.

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    yep

4. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    yeah, not a defective amp, just how it works.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yep. It happens. Our keyboard player sometimes gets this when his iPhone is left on his rig, or keys...My TV at home used to get it when my roommate would get texts on his earlier gen iphone...And our guitarist sometimes has it happen with his amp. I don't have it happen, but I leave my phone in my pocket.

6. I noticed this with my rig at last practice, the noise stopped when I took my phone out of my pocket. It was right up against the battery cover... D'oh.

7. It's Apple that should address this problem, it interferes with MANY devices. That is a FCC violation if I remember by rules correctly.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    It's not just Apple products that cause these kinds of problems. ALL cell phones are guilty of the same disturbing noises. it's even worse when you are trying to have a quiet meal at a restaurant and they start to go off! :(

9. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Nope. It's all phones and it's not an FCC violation.

10. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    if my phone is in my pocket behind my bass and it goes off i can hear it through the amp, moved the phone to another pocket. very cheap solution to just move your phone.

11. While any phone can cause noise when close to other devices while receiving or sending, the Apple is the only phone I have heard that causes this while not sending or receiving.
    As far as rude people not silencing their phones in restaurants, movies, plays ect. That is not any phones fault ;)

12. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Smart phones are sending and receiving data all the time, even when you aren't making it happen. It's not just Apple.

13. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Rhinebeck, NY
    Not just Apple, but all *GSM* phones make that sound. I've never had any unwanted sounds from CDMA phones. Of the US national carriers, that narrows it down to AT&T and Tmobile.

14. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Yes, my experience has been what froghat says.
    We'd hear that noise and ask 'Who has the AT&T phone?', and make them move it.
    Been that way since before the iPhone.

15. I wonder if that is a stretch of Class B rules then?

Just did a quick scan of Class B while the phones should fall into computing devices (single or dual core processors) interference is regulated outside of 10 meters.

16. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    Annoying, isn't it? I has a GK MB-210 combo and it sound like a prison break was occurring. All I have to be was within three feet of the amp. So I did was what any other red-blooded GAS-aholic would do and explained to my unsuspecting wife that I needed to sell the GK and buy a Markbass combo. Been good ever since...

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Maybe this guy isn't as dumb as he looks:

[​IMG]

18. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    +1

No problems with my Verizon iPhone. Used to do it all the time when I had AT&T (years ago before iPhones, or smartphones for that fact, were out).

19. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I remember my first cell phone... *rolls eyes*

This has been an issue as long as there have been cell phones. I've thrown many a cussword at bandmates/soundguys over this issue. Could you imagine that DEET DE DEET DEET noise through a fully cranked PA? Yeaaaah...

FYI, this happens more often when your phone is in a low/no signal zone. The phone jacks up the intensity of it's transmissions trying to lock down a signal. Putting it in airplane mode not only shuts it up, but it will also save battery life.

20. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    And this is why we turn our phones OFF during gigs, instead of on silent. It's sop at work to turn them off when the house opens, and start talking on clearcom.

EDIT: This is really too bad, because iphone/ipad have some really good apps for spl and rta functions, that we can only use for soundcheck, not for the actual gig.