1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

iPhone 8 vs Galaxy S8

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Galaxy S8

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. iPhone 8

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm going to get another phone here in the next few days.

Talk me into the iPhone.

Pros list for each.

Galaxy S8
    Pro - a gazillion free apps
    Pro - I'm used to it
    Pro - a little cheaper

iPhone 8
    Pro - Facetime with my kids when I'm traveling and my nieces on a regular basis
    Pro - IEM apps all use iPhone. Some don't do Android
    Pro - by all accounts a better camera
    Pro - harder to hack or install a virus

Here's the thing. I keep going back to the iPhone 6 I use for work. It's just not as easy to navigate (to me) ad the Galaxy. Settings seem easier to find on the Galaxy S6 I own for personal use. The pros for the iPhone are pretty strong though. I have even used Facetime at work to have real-time video conversations while aiming the camera at the gizmo we're talking about. It's both handy and fun. Whatever band I'm filling in with I can just tap into their digital board and adjust my own monitor mix. (I'm sure Android will catch up but hasn't as of yet.)

Should I just deal with it and learn the iPhone OS? Does it get easier when you get used to it?

pjbassist likes this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It looks like the Facetime app has value for you in multiple uses, so I suggest the iPhone.
    I've thought about flipping to an iPhone over the years, but I've been using Android (Motorola Droid series) since day one so it's what I know. Plus, I haven't ever had a situation where my Android device hasn't been able to do something I needed that an iPhone could.
    I'm not against the Apple devices, just not the right solution for me.

-Mike

two fingers likes this.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Don't change your phone as long as it works, problem solved?

Aberdumbie and Nashrakh like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Every iPhone after your 6 is better and faster in some way, but for your purposes it doesn't sound like there isn't anything your 6 can't do that the 8 can. And you don't have to get a Galaxy S8 either. The S7 is a major improvement over the s6 and they're a lot cheaper now.

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "Works" is a relative term. I am right there with you. If the S6 were functioning 100% I would leave well enough alone. But it's getting glitchy (even after a factory reset and dumping all of my crap from it). It's in kind of rough shape as well. The front screen is starting to show "layers" near the top. It's as though the top layer is "coming off" for lack of a better descriptor. (And, no, I don't mean the peel-off plastic thing I installed on it myself. That is still intact.)

pjbassist likes this.
  6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Actually, I called US Cellular and asked about the S7. Right now, the 8 is cheaper due to promotions.....as is the iPhone 8. A screaming deal on the S7 was my first thought as well.

pjbassist likes this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How much is it from them? You can get them unlocked for like 400 something I think.

And the s7 is excellent but there are plenty of more similarly priced unlocked Android phones that are great too, but I can understand sticking with what you know.

two fingers likes this.
  8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I may have to look into that. Thanks. But, for now, I would still like to know where everyone stands on the iPhone vs Galaxy latest offerings.

9. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Benchmarks show the iPhone 8 is outperforming everything else out there by huge margins. It's not even close. Real life tests produced the same results.
    If you want the best/fastest phone, it's the iPhone hands down.

-Mike

two fingers likes this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I jist got off the phone with my provider. Turns out the price difference (after I haggled with them a little while) will be about fifty buck. So that's not really a factor.

11. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I’m typing this on my new iPhone 8. Upgraded from iPhone 6

Still getting used to it but first impression is the 8 leaves the 6 far in the rear view mirror performance-wise. Chunky apps like Starbucks run way way faster on the 8.

Migrating apps etc from the 6 was super easy.

Wireless charging is the bomb. I got a Samsung Qi charger and it seems to work fine. No idea why Apple’s Qi charger isn’t out yet.

That’s about all I can tell you. I committed to iOS years ago and have never regretted it or even considered changing.

two fingers likes this.
  12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's cool Apple finally jumped on board with wireless charging.
    That was a game changer in my world when I got my first phone with wireless charging a couple years ago.

-Mike

OldDog52 likes this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Wireless charging is sooooo slllooowwww. Fast wireless charging is barely as fast as regular charging plus it heats up the phone killing long term battery life anyway. I'll spend top dollar on a new phone once it has battery life that can legitimately last through a day with heavy use.

14. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My Turbo 2 lasts all day with WiFi and Bluetooth on while checking TB all the time, e-mail, and such.

-Mike

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm on a lot. Lots of video and audio playing and/or streaming. Gaming. Calling. I drain batteries fast. It's fine because I'm at a desk all day with a charger but it'd be nice not to have to use it. There's a cheap Motorola phone with a big battery that'll probably do the trick but it's got a 5.5" screen and I don't like those.

16. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Just in case the claim from Apple that they are using the strongest glass ever on the iPhone 8 is appealing to you, independent drop tests have revealed the glass is not nearly as strong as Apple claims.

-Mike

two fingers likes this.
  17. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Samsung gives you more freedom. It's current with tech, whereas iPhone waits to implement. I'm on an S7 active and am impressed. I can only imagine how good the S8 is.

18. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    I’ll report on Qi Fast Charging for iPhone 8 soon.

Heat: The latest Samsung charger has a small fan to cool the charger and the device being charged.

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Apparently apple's saphire camera lenses are some kind of impure cheaper synthetic that doesn't have the same scratch resistance as the good saphire like on watches. And the lense sticks out past the rim around it. That would bother me.

20. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    I can’t imagine this being an issue if you’re using a case. It never was on my iPhone 6.

The lens sticking out is also a non-issue with a case.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017