iPod + G-K 1001RB + Goliath Jr =

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malthumb, Jul 5, 2005.

1. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    One heck of a slammin' backyard deck party on Independence Day!.

I 'Pod-jayed the party with my G-K at something just slightly BELOW 1 on the volume. Tweaking to 1 started to rattle my windows. Tweaking past 1 started to rattle my neighbors windows.

Clarity was outstanding (digital music! :) ) and finding requests was a breeze.

Anybody else try something like that?

2. Well if you had gone alot up past 1 it would have started clipping

Think about how high the output from your ipod probably was compaired to that of a bass, you gotta take these things into consideration, thats why when i did it i made sure the volume on the player was pretty low, and used the amp to give the volume

Glad it worked good tho :bassist:
  3. I've done this with a Fender 350w 2x10 combo before with a CD player and it sounded pretty bad.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, nice.

a bass amp is always fun for the house party rig.

i've used my iPOD / Acme B-1 pair / EA iAMP-800 for a not-so-mini digital jukebox, and WOAH MOMMA, who needs a sub? ;)
  5. I just used my bass amp as a sub woofer :Cool:

150 watt stereo speakers with a 300 watt valve sub (into 410 cab), hehehe, good times, too much spare time
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I didn't have the iPod volume up too high and I controlled the volume through the G-K. The volume got to be overwhelming long before I got to any clipping. That's why I made the point about the clarity. I don't know how high I'd have to take it to clip, but it's waaaay higher than I would ever take it.

7. just the other day, i sey my peavey tnt 115 combo up as a stereo. i'm running it through my computer. with the right eq, it sounds great. and it really thumps
  8. haha, yeaaaa... I use my combo amp as the speakers for my computer, because I...uh... dont have speakers for my computer... Can get awesome and weird sounds... and the EQ rawks
  9. cd player head phone out into my dads home theater bose system, line out into a y connector on lead to my peavey 130 watt combo, other lead to my peavey mark IV and with that into my 1810 the neighborhood was pissed but its was so much fun.
  10. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    One fine Thanksgiving evening in the early '90s, a bass player friend's parents had gone out of town for the holiday which left my friend and his brother home alone.

We were all in high school at the time and decided that it would be a fine idea to watch the (then-unsullied) Star Wars trilogy with six 10s and an 18 at our back and the VCR audio running into his decently endowed GK head.

Sometime after midnight we all started getting tired, and it was decided that the only remedy for this was Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power at window-shaking volume. It didn't take more than five minutes later before the next door neighbor was calling the cops.

The next Monday I was relating the tale to a friend when a classmate who lived over a block away from the bassist came over and said, "that was YOU GUYS?"

Ah, good times.
  11. I often run the Sub output from my dvd player into my bass amp. Red Hot Chili Peppers Live At Slane has never sounded so goood :D
  12. When I was in college, my "stereo" was a CD walkman through my GK MB150E112. Might have been lacking a wee bit of top end, but hey. Who listens to top end?
  13. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Isn't this kind of stuff hard on tweeters?
  14. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Jim Bergantino ,who is not a bass player, tests his cabinets with recorded music. I didn't get that info from Jim himself, but from a dealer. I heard that the 210s should have the horn all the way up for the cabinet to sound the way he intended. It is a great sounding tweeter, but that setting is too much for my tastes. So his cabs should be able to handle it with no problems but with a sane level of course.
  15. I actually used my bass amp and cab for my own wedding's PA.

I set up the equipment, but a friend ran the music...

I ran a Laptop, CD player, and mic into my $50 Behringer mixer, then into the effects return (bypassing the preamp) of my Carvin R1000 head, then biamped it, into two Yamaha 2-way monitors, and into my Carvin 18" bass cab for the sub.

With some minor eq adjustments, it sounded pretty damn hi-fi. And I'm very particular about pure sound and EQ.

The carvin bass amp is basically a PA amp with a bass preamp in front of it, so it worked fine.

This was an outdoor gig, as well....

Sounded great with Jazz, Classical, Rap, salsa, Rock....
  16. You guys can blow out your speakers pretty easily doing this with a ported cab. The music will have kick drum and other low sounds recorded below the cabs tuning frequency and the drivers' Fs that will unload the speakers. Rap songs and subwoofer use will def kill your cabs quick.
  17. I just tried it on my Hartke 3500 and 410XL and this thing is the BOMB. SO DAMN CLEAR. Only had it on for like 30 seconds in case I blew something up though but it still sounds mad espesially when you just play bassy music, wholy **** this thing gets some bass to it!
  18. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    An average kick drum fundamental isn't that low, between 70 and 100hz. Yes, even most of the rap stuff. This is that nice range where everything resonates to make the droning "kick drum" in rap songs sound huge. This will not likely harm any bass guitar cabinet. What harms the cabinet is the powerful transient at that frequency, but even that isn't any worse than what someone can do on a bass.

In general, these bass amps aren't delicate. Think of the volume used for playing gigs. There's lots of treble and tons of bass transients (well below 70hz), probably much louder than any of you are playing the music in most cases. I'm quite surprised at how little content there is below 50hz or so in some of the best sounding recordings I've heard. It doesn't take those sub-lows to make anything sound huge.

Now, I'm very curious about my Accugroove El Whappo... :D
  19. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    FYI: Here's an email I received this week from a rock drummer that just invested in two Tri 210L cabs for his e-drums.

"WHOA man...I am in LOVE. I have never heard a better sound from my e-drums. I am shocked and amazed! Thanks for an AWESOME pair of cabs! I am telling EVERYONE who has a Zen drum to check you out!"

AccuGroove Speaker Cabinets
  20. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Yeah that doesn't surprise me one bit. Having played my Whappo quite a bit now, I really see it (and I imagine your other cabinets) as more than a "bass cabinet". You guys make an amazing product and I really appreciated receiving it so quickly from you also.