1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ipod or Zune? Your opinion

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Get an Ipod.

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. Get a Zune.

14 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. Carrot-player.

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. So its become clear to me thus far that I just have way too many cds, and as I don't really have any better ideas for what I want, I'm stuck in making the decision between an Ipod or a Zune (prettymuch the two most popular brands).

I'm kind of biased with Ipod, Itunes is kind of annoying with its process of working.

Either way, this decision could save me the trouble of the every-day shuffling of jewel cases/re-arranging my car and sticking various things into a cardboard box to take elsewhere.

So far I have about 16.6 gigs of music on my external HD, I anticipate it could be raised to over 20, given the amount of cds I've purchased that I simply haven't bothered to rip.

Your opinion, guys?

2. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    No experience with the Zune, they are still not available here in Australia to my knowledge.

Never had a problem with my ipod nano (4th gen I believe). Its taken a major beating over the 3 years or so I have had it and still works fine. Originally I didn't like the idea of needing to use iTunes, but it actually works quite well for me anyway, I play all my music through it now.

Realistically. If a Zune is anything like an iPod... just buy which ever one is on special :)

3. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    My Zune has lasted 3 years without a problem. I heard iTunes can be a hassle if you haven't used it before.

4. As a Zune owner, here's my general opinion on the situation

iPod Touch > Zune > All Other iPods

I haven't checked lately so I don't know if this is still the case, but for the longest time the Zune has had a larger screen with better resolution and larger HD space than any comparable iPod and costs less than the iPod. The touch, however, has far more uses with applications, wifi and whatnot. So if those applications are important to you, then go with the Touch, if not, you really can't go wrong with the Zune, imo.

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    DISCLAIMER: I ****ING HATE APPLE

Get an iPod. As much as I hate saying this it really is the best mp3 player on the market.

6. I've used an iPod and I've used a Zune, and my favourite is still Toshiba's Gigabeat.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just had the second or third iPod completely screw the pooch on me. I'll likely not be getting another iPod any time soon.

8. Sandisk Sansa.

9. Oh, are Zunes still around?

10. The price range looks retarded tho! I looked in Target earlier today. A classic 160gig Ipod goes for 200 some bucks. An 8 gig (i think) Ipod touch goes for 250! and of course with each multiplier of memory (16, 32) it goes up to 350.

11. What has been the problem?

I've heard complaints of gigs of lost songs on the devices themselves, and that the software completely screws with everything as far as the library system (I had a first-hand experience where my cousins got me an "itunes gift card". The "gift" was seeing Apple's software from hell not only center my library around it, but also copy all my songs to mp4. I don't know if it's changed since 07.)

From what I hear Zune has web browser and a few apps. I don't know exactly what the whole set of rules is with apps. The only reason I'd slightly care at all is I read all the time about music apps in Computer Music Magazine. On the other hand, seeing the invention of the "fart drumset" my brother had most recently shown to me on his Ipod touch..........doesn't mean much to me. This is primarily an effort to save me from myself. Jewel cases on the car floors, on the car seats, in the trunk, in my room, in seat compartments, in glove compartments, in center consoles...they're everywhere, they're everywhere...........

And to top it off it still doesn't stop me from finding some obscure artist to burn to yet another disc to pop into my car.

12. You can get a 16gig for 150 or a 32gig for 180 off Walmart. Zunes are apparently the lower seller.

13. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    I've been using zune for about three years now. It really boils down to if you want a monthly fee or pay by the song. This is of course assuming you download your music legally; (I'm not judging you if you don't.) The quality of the sound is about equal, the price is a difference too.

I say zune... Then again I despise apple and their business tactics.

14. you know, I really thought about that on and off for a long time. It was always one of these "well, this could be a cheap fix....if i wanna pull out 50-80 bucks this week" sort of deals. I only second guessed them because I've heard several reviews of "This ****ing thing FREEZES!"

I thought I'd go fancier given its the holidays and I have a very short wishlist (since I've barred myself from including anything gaming related on it)

btw, how is touchscreen technology these days? I'm personally old school with phones and media players. I tried a few droids out in a verizon store or two a couple days ago but its kinda discouraging when half the stock seems to be unresponsive to tapping fingers....

15. I've not strayed from buying by the disc the majority of the time I've bought my media. In fact, I still have a $25 itunes card from last christmas waiting for me to decide what I want......

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I run subsonic on my server at home, and just stream all of my music library to my droid phone. This works out well for me, cos in order to carry my entire library, I'd need at least two iPods/Zunes.
    The only time this presents any kind of a problem is when I'm flying. But, usually then I'm either reading or sleeping, so it doesn't bother me. I also have an iPod (120GB), but I haven't even turned it on/plugged it in, much less used it, in well over a year now.

17. heh.....well.....you can eliminate the flying problem by discontinuing service to the phone......

18. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I've never used a Zune so I really can't say which one is better. But I do LOVE my iPod! I've owned a very old iPod (3rd generation with the 4 buttons) and that thing still works great! I keep it in my stereo at home. I own a shuffle, and I love it for going to the gym. Just pop your fave mixes on it and clip it to your shirt. No need to worry about a big thing on your arm. I own a nano, it's pretty much good for music only. My latest is my Touch and that is the king of them all! I use that thing for EVERYTHING! I can even compose music on it. I carry my favorite songs, movies and games everywhere.

iPod <3

19. You are lucky dis...most people that I know are iPod users are on their 4th one...

20. ......he DOES own four tho......they just haven't died.