1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ipod plus computers equals questionmarks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hants, May 14, 2006.

1. hants

hants

Oct 11, 2005
    So, is there any way to take the music of my ipod from computer number 1 to computer number 2. I assume that there is some simple but devilish way to do this, because the problem must be quite common with people replacing their computers.
    :ninja:

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I have the same problem! I haven't figured out how to do it, but it's annoying not having the songs on my new computer.

Graeme

3. I dont know

This is one of the things i love about my iRiver, its just detected as a seperate harddrive, so its easy to copy things about, and even use it to backup large amounts of data that isnt music (sounds better than an iPod too :bag: )

4. hants

hants

Oct 11, 2005
    Someone to share the pain with!

Its a quite awkward situation, because I dont dare to include any more music to my pod. The device would then replace all my music with the few songs I would include.

I'm in pain.

:help:

5. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    Its kinda late to try my method now but maybe this might help out others. Before I bought an ipod I made my music "ipod ready" in a sense in that I ripped all of my existing cds to an external hard drive in MP3 format. I did this using Windows Media Player and ripped them at the highest quality MP3, 320Kbs, so that I would have a good source to work from which I could then reduce down in bitrate if needbe. I then import from the external hard drive the music into the itunes library which will then just copy it from its original format to ipod's format and let you use it.

The only thing though is that Apple has some type of anti-copy protection nativly built in, the iPod knows that it is being used on another computer, so most likely you will have to erase the contents on the iPod to begin uploading from the new computer, BUT if you have the original "MP3" files on an external hard disk then you can move it without much effort. If you have a DVD burner you can move it that way too, but once its in Itunes I'm not sure about how you would move it and still make it work right.

Good luck,
    David.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    There's a way to add music to the iPod without it getting rid of everything else. I've done that before, but I'm having trouble remembering how I did it.

I'll try to figure it out again, and get back to you.

Graeme

7. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    isnt the ipod just like a portable harddrive? if not go buy a portable harddrive and dump your music to that and then dump it to the other computer. hard drives are super cheap right now. i just bought a 300gig seagate for 79.00 after rebates.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Set up your IPod in ITunes to sync manually. I tunes lets you authorize up to 5 computers. When you change computers, de-authorize the old one and you're good to go.

9. Just so you know, unless you have put your music on your iPod like it's a hard drive (Copy + Paste on *name of your iPod*(F: ) for example), and you have simply put it by itunes on your iPod, there is absolutely NO way to get the music from your iPod to your computer. It's kinda dumb, but it's like that.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    hmmm....I had no idea. But then, I bought an external hard drive just for my ITunes music (so far I've got over 100gb on it!)

11. hants

hants

Oct 11, 2005
    This can be the very solution for all my problems, even though it was very handy when it automatically refreshed the ipod. Ill also look into all the other advices, so muchos gracias for everyone!

(pardon my spanish)

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    General iPod question here:

How come my 30G iPod only actually has 27.8G? Shouldn't it be thirty?

Just curious...

Graeme

13. Hard drive manufacturers measure capacity differently than the rest of us. Their megabyte is based on powers of ten, but computers use a megabyte based on powers of two.