iPOD questions...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Serac, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Serac

May 29, 2005
    I heard that Ipod batteries wear out after a long time… I f I charge it every night, about how long would a 20gb standard ipod battery last? And how much would it cost to replace it?

Also, is it true that if you lose your I-pod, you lose your list to, because of the way Ipod updates songs? If so, is there any way around that?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    From www.ipodlounge.com:

How long can you expect your battery to last?

For more than 500 battery charging cycles (one charging cycle consisting of draining the battery, then recharging it to a full charge) Depending on heavy or lighter use, this battery life span can range from approximately 2 or 3 to 8 or 9 years.

How long should I charge the battery when I take it out of the box?

Charging it for 3 hours before first use is recommended.

How to best charge the battery?

You should recharge it to full charge regularly, before it has an opportunity to fully discharge.

Does the iPod battery have a memory effect?

What is the difference between charging via FireWire or via AC Adapter?

Many experienced owners always recharge using the AC adapter as opposed to recharging from the FireWire port on their computers because it is quicker.

Is the battery meter inaccurate?

Yes. Users have reported that after fully charging the meter shows only half power. This usually normalizes after a few minutes of use. Also, with the meter on empty, you can get hours of playing time. The meter is thus no true indicator of battery power.

If I don't get 8 hours of battery life, is the iPod defective?

Not necessarily. Battery life varies according to use (menu switching) and individualized settings. Doing a battery test will determine your iPod's performance: load the iPod with enough tracks to play for at least 8 hours. Allow the iPod to play the tracks using the standard settings (no EQ, normal volume, etc.) and without accessing it during this time. The iPod should play for 7-8 continuous hours.

As for your second question, no. Your tunes stay on your computer, and when you hook up your iPod, it updates from that list.
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Replacements - have apple do them without warrentee = 100 bucks

Do it yourself - around 20.

You can do better than an Ipod IMO, but thats just me.
  4. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I've been told that those lithium ion batteries will last the longest if you use it until it is empty (empty meaning that the appliance turns itself off because of it), and then recharge it fully.

Now, my cell phone has lithium ion batteries, and I've treated it this way for the four years I've had it. And the battery has shown very little wear - it still lasts for 4-5 days (vs. 5-6 days when it was brand new).

So I should think it works.

Another example - to the opposite: My old Apple PowerBook laptop. It also has lithium ion battery. I didn't treat it like my cell phone, I rather used it with the power adapter connected very much of the time. Worked well for two years, but last year the battery died on itself and now lasts only 15 minutes (vs 3-4 hours before).
    So don't do that.

Disclaimer: I don't own an iPod.
    But: the battery type is the same.
  5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Why iPod? I think there are better mp3's out there for the money, and they can play windows media :p
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    ipodlounge rules. :hyper:

I just passed 12500 songs on my iPod. The 60GB was the biggest available mp3 player at the time, so nothing else even got a looksie from me. When I get this thing completely filled (about another 4.5 GB free), I'll still have about 400 cds I haven't ripped yet.

I just plug my iPod into the USB 2.0 cord every couple days before I go to bed and I wake up to a fully charged iPod with more stuff on it. :hyper:
  7. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Lithium ion batteries have no memory effect. It was the crappy old Ni-Cd ones that did.

I have an ipod and I use it every day - my only gripe is the EQ. Not enough bass, and when you boost the bass it distorts. Being an audiophile I get very angry. I bought myself some $70 headphones, and can't use them. Why? They had exceptional treble response (along with boosted bass) and I needed an EQ setting that boosted the low-mids, the mids and the extreme highs (NOT the high mids) to get a nice sound. Unfortunately the EQ is not customisable so I couldn't do this. It hurt so much when singers sung an "s" sound that I had to stop using them - no matter what the EQ setting. I thought it was pretty poor for a 'top of the line' mp3 player! Now I just look like a pretentious idiot wearing those stupid white headphones.
  8. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Is this true? I just want to find the best way to preserve an ipod battery...
  9. The creative Zen hasa customisable eq