1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

iPod: Songs cut off

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lazylion, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Any iPod gurus here? I posted this in another thread, but it got no response, so it's getting it's own!

I gave my son a Zune for Christmas, and in return he gave me his 16 mg iPod Touch. It's a couple of years old. I like it, sounds OK through my car stereo, but I'm having one problem. Most songs play all the way through, but on a number of the songs, it seems only part of the song gets loaded. The song will play 30 seconds, or a minute, or 3 minutes, then the song cuts off and it goes to the next song. In any one song, it always cuts off at the same point. I know the whole song is there on my computer in iTunes, I've checked a few of them.

I haven't used any of the other functions on it, no pictures, no internet, no videos, just music playback.

Anyone have an idea why this would happen/if I can do anything about it? Is this an aging problem? Maybe I don't have the latest software? Can an iPod get a virus? Could there be bad sectors?

My son says he never had that happen. Funny it would just start when I got the thing... :eyebrow: He synced it on his Windows computer. Mine has Vista. I don't do any other tasks while syncing.

I searched an iPod troubleshooting forum, but didn't find anyone with the same problem. Lots of other problems, though, that I'm glad I don't have!

Thoughts? And if you have some, thanks!

2. for some reason the whole the song isnt transfering properly, if its happening totally all the time then i'd format my ipod and load the songs again. try manually this time to check for once
    edit: it has happened to me occasionally

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Some songs didn`t sync fully.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    i'd wipe the iPod and start from scratch. shouldn't take that long to load everything on again.

5. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I've reloaded from scratch several times, and still get partial songs. I was wondering if this is Apple's sneaky way of encouraging us to get the latest software... or is that overly paranoid?

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    In this day and age Lazylion, one cannot be overly paranoid.

(except my girlfriend)

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Sorry. But I think it means you're dying.

8. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    ^^ Durn. Is it too late to get the Anthony Jackson album?

9. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Bumping, one more shot at getting an answer on this...

10. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    One thought... In iTunes (for my iMac), the info menu for each song has an adjustment to set the time when a song begins and ends. Make sure the songs have not been set to end early.

11. This happens to me with every one of my Frank Zappa songs, and some Dream Theater ones. It only cuts the Dream Theaters ones out at the end, but some of the Zappa one's are completely messed up. IT drives me insane!!

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    what drives me nuts is when my 5th Gen iPod video is in shuffle, it'll play songs from where they left off, from a prior play...and the thing is, the bookmarking is disabled.

THAT drives ME nuts.

13. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    It's nothing wrong with your iPod, it's something wrong the files you are trying to play. Fix them and it'll work fine.

14. I was told that the songs weren't downloaded right onto the computer and that's why even though I've re-uploaded them onto my iPod, they're still messed up. Not sure if that's true, but it sounds possible.

15. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    When I play the songs in iTunes on my computer system, they are fine. Could a song file that plays fine on the computer still need fixing? And how would that be done?

16. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've had this happen numorous times in the last year or so.
    It only seems to happen on songs that have been ripped from CD's (for me, anyway).

First, the fix: When syncing my Ipod I will re-sync as many times as neccessary (usually only once or twice if any) until it shows no files being synced, displaying almost immediately that "Ipod sync is complete".

You'll be able to tell what new files didn't sync completely on the first pass as those files will be showed syncing again on the next pass.

The only other anomally I've come across (just once) is one particular song on a recent release would not rip completely off the CD (about 5-10 seconds short). The computer would play it from the disc in it's entirety, but could not rip it completely. Very weird.

17. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    My friend was having this trouble. I sorted it out by reformatting the iPod then resyncing all of her music.

18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    When you say "reformat", do you mean you wiped the Ipod completely and reloaded everything or you simply did a reset (holding the Center button and Menu together to start a reset/reboot of the Ipod).

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    In your iTunes Preferences menu, do you have Crossfade turned on?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020