Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iPOD under attack....guess who!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 16, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
  2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wow.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's rough, but the sad part is, I must say it was smart on Bill's part to get the patent first.

Don't forget, Leo Fender didn't patent the P-bass until 1952 or 53.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You better believe someone got canned for that little "oops".

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    like Gates & Co. need any more money

6. i hate M$.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You guys are talking like Microsoft is being the bad guy here - Apple released an unpatented product that Microsoft was concurrently working on. Apple biffed, and according to the economic system we work in, MS has every entitlement to reimbursement.

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    That was a hit below the belt. I still like my CD player.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Bruce Lindquist's ears just pricked up.

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Capitalism :)

11. i like it, ipod was too slick anyway

12. hahahahahahaha, OWNED

13. yep, it's not their fault. apple just messed up.

14. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Sad to see that happen. I do still want an Ipod though.

15. Ok, this is all perfectly legal, but the fact that it is pisses me off. Bill Gates can blow me. The crap that these guys get away with under the law is upsetting, along with how they constantly exploit it. (eg: this incident.) Microsoft is by nature anti-competitive, and the law needs to stop supporting them. What ever happened to laissez-faire?

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Exploit? This is basic business. If Apple can't take care of simple business practices such as getting a PATENT on something they're releasing to the public, then they blew it. Regardless of how you feel about what MS has done in other business scenarios, this is pretty cut-and-dry above the table "We-screwed-up" stuff.

It's like if GM and Ford were concurrently developing a car that ran on good intentions. If Ford got the product out first, and GM had built up the platform that Ford based their product on, but Ford forgot to PATENT their version, then GM has every right (and an obligation, as a competitor) to capitalize on Ford's dumbass move.

17. yeah it sucks for apple, but if you're releasing something as groundbreaking as the ipod, you better put a patent on its parts. you NEED to patent your stuff, plain and simple.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    MS is still a bunch of rat bastards.

19. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    +1

20. +1

I dont really care if they are acting legally or not, I still dont like them. Although I dont think it shows in this incident, in general they get away with far too much anti-competitive behaviour. The US laws concerning such behaviour need to be more strongly enforced, or changed to make it easier to enforce them.