Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Jan 23, 2006.

1. i have multiple!

22 vote(s)
  2. I have one- Video

37 vote(s)
  3. I have one- Nano

23 vote(s)
  4. I have one- Shuffle

13 vote(s)
  5. I have one- Photo

22 vote(s)
  6. I have one- Other

85 vote(s)
  7. I want one!

61 vote(s)
  8. I have no desire for one

75 vote(s)
  9. I hate Ipods!

42 vote(s)
  10. Ipod? whats that?

8 vote(s)
  1. What do you think of it? do you have one? which one?
  2. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Bought one for my daughter. I tried to talk her out of it and into another brand, but she really wanted the pink Ipod, and so I got it for her.

Sent it back for repair after 10 days when she dropped it.

Needs to be sent back again (it's 10 months old) because the battery will not hold a charge. This time I have to pay $30 "shipping". She's way too careless for such a delicate machine. (Don't get me started on her cell phone).

To me it's garbage. Bought my son the Zen Micro. Little more durable.

The problem is that these devices are just to fragile to market them to teens.

And Apple's battery situation is ridiculous. The Zen has a user replacable battery.
  3. ugh, everyone at my school has these, its intimidating, my cd player broke too so i have no way of listening to music on the go. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

i want an ipod nano, but any ipod is outrageously expensive
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I bought one for my (now) ex-girlfriend and she loved it. I also work on a college campus and EVERYONE has one. I've had several people if I'd like one as a gift, and I can't really figure out what I'd do with it. I have a home stereo, a CD player in the car, and when I walk about, I don't want music.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I dropped my first iPod(20 GB 3rd generation) a couple times and it broke, but then later fixed itself, but then later broke again. I bought a replacement for it(40GB 3rd generation) which was stolen. I'm planning on getting a 60 GB video iPod pretty soon.

I buy most of my music on iTunes these days, and I think the iPod is the best mp3 player on the market, certainly the only one I'd feel safe in the car with(where I use iPods the most).
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Plane rides and car trips are the two best uses of the iPod for me. It's such a nice feeling to never have to get stuck with that "oh I really wish I had X song/album to listen to right now". Since my last iPod was stolen, I have amassed over 100 CDs in my car, mostly burned, it's obnoxious and annoying and I really wish I had an iPod in my car again. Back when I was living in boston for school I came home a few times in a year, and I went on a couple of trips, having the iPod in the plane was a great way to escape, far greater than CDs have ever been for me.

Also, it's a really nice thing to be able to go over to a friend's house and say "hey, check out this new song/album/artist/etc" and have it right there with you. Instead of them having to download tracks, or samples or even worse, you havin to describe how cool it is.
  7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I have a 60gb Video iPod. It's awesome. I had a Zen Xtra before it, and the sound quality of the iPod is above and beyond the Zen. My brother has a Zen Sleek, and while it's nice, the iPod still wins in the sound department.

You can have the battery replaced at any time for $50. I think that's a reasonable price to pay after you've used all the charge cycles you can out of yours.
  8. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Do you still have to send it back to get a battery replaced?
  9. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Technically. I've read you CAN do it yourself, but Apple suggests that you don't.

But Creative's going that way now as well. All of their new players have very difficult to replace batteries.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'll pass. Ipod's, mp3's, dvd players, megabytes, gigabytes etc are entirely too hi-tech for me.

I'm old school. I still have an 8 track player hanging around here.:bag:
  11. My boyfriend gave a shuffle for xmas. I love it. I listen to it all of the time in car. It's also nice for trips to my folks', I can have some music to listen to, without having to lug around a bunch of CDs.
    And it's nice to be able to listen to stuff you download when you're away from the computer.

I could see myself eventually getting a "big" ipod (video or other) and putting most of my music collection on it.
  12. groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    I've got a 4gb mini, love it. Never had a problem with it. Dropped it several time in a paking lot, no issues, kept on playing without missing a beat.
  13. In my job, it is encouraged to bring a radio of some sort in. So I bought the 20gig 4th generation one.

I didn't want to at all lol. I went to the store to get one of the creative labs knockoffs. The creative labs one had a bigger hard drive and was like $100 cheaper, but the thing was massive in my pocket and had sharp edges to it. The creative labs one's controls was like 8 buttons on its side. The Ipod slid right in, and only need the click wheel for operation. I'm very happy with it, but I'm a responsible adult that takes care of my stuff.

If you have any ability to work on computers, you can change the battery yourself. Its a little intense the first time. I bought a plan with Best Buy that will change your battery 3 times within 3 years, cost me 30 bucks to buy that. My bud bought that too. He got his changed and they basically took his hard drive out and put it into a new Ipod. I've also heard people just get new Ipods and they sell your old one as refurbished.
  14. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have a 40G Click Wheel version. Love it. I have over 230 CDs on it and have identified another 80 in my collecion that I need to add over the next couple weeks. I've only used about 7 out of the available 37 G of useable memory space.

I use it
    • to avoid taking a whole crap-load of CDs in my car
    • to have something to listen to when I go shopping
    • to create and play playlists of songs that I want my Praise Band to learn
    • to plug into the PA at church or my amp at home to learn new songs

15. I've replaced it myself on my first Gen iPod - really quite easy, provided you have some coordination... The kit even came with the necessary tools.

I think iPods really slam the competition, maybe not in terms of features, but industrial design, usability and interface design, itunes integration, sound and overall quality of the product. Others just feel cheap to me... a bit like comparing a dell laptop to a powerbook. Those who haves powerbooks will know what I mean. For those on dell laptops, I'm sorry.
  16. i bought my iPod mini last year around this time because my Phillips mp3 player wasnt cutting it (couldnt get the upload feature to work, so i was stuck with the same 25 songs, didnt have a clip or anything to secure it to me in the gym) so i gave in and bought the ipod and i love it, took a bit of playing with to get it to sound good in my car, but i use it all the time, save walking around on campus.

i even use it in my bathroom when i take a shower (i have an old computer powered stereo set up in there) to learn song lyrics in the shower, or just listen while im showering
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My son has gone through three or four of them already. Apple could make them a little more durable, but I think most of it is my son just being hard on them. He wears it snowboarding, skateboarding, at work.....

18. I have the 60g photo. I like it alot. It holds what I want it to and is IMO easy to use.
    As far as durability issues. It's an "on the go" kinda gadget, but not marketed for serious "extreme sports" kinda use.

I love it in the car, where mine gets its most use. I have a handy dandy contraption that plugs into where my factory cd changer used to go, and I can control my ipod through my factory radio. It sounds really good.
  19. I don't own one, don't want one. They are terribly expensive and you can easily get 10x the quality for the price. Compare them to other mp3 players in their price range and the sound quality, battery life, durability, size, format compatiblity etc is all crap on the ipod. Don't even get me started on the ipod video, compare it to the other PMP's for the same price or cheaper such as the cowon A2 and you will never even think about ipods again.
  20. iPods: Great idea, piece of crap. I've been through five (5) of them and now the warranty's run out and I'm not about to waste another $300. The hard drives broke on every one with the exception of the one that just stopped songs at random points - even Portrait of Tracy!