Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iPods...too fragile...battery doesn't work etc. etc.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just saw a thread on iPod questions and it reminded that in the last few weeks, I've seen loads of complaints about iPods in Britain.

So I know that in the US, Apple have been taken to court over batteries running out - but apparently they have said this doesn't apply to other countries!! :meh:

There was a consumer programme on BBC TV where they had loads of people complaining that their battery started to run out more and more quickly - so there were several interviews with people saying after having it for a few months, they would get on the tube and it would stop working after playing 2 songs!! :mad:

All the customer service had said was that they could buy a new battery for about £50 ($80-90) - but if you have to do this every few months, it's pretty inconvenient and expensive!!

I have also seen stories in the newspapers about how iPod Nanos are too fragile and people are saying they broke after a few days!!

Seems like these things are more trouble than they're worth!! :meh:

2. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I really want to get an MP3 player some time soon, and there are so many out there... I was gonna go for the iPod, but I too have heard bad things about them.

I think I'll do some serious investigate before I actually buy an MP3 player though.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, I´ve seen some battery stories as well.

I have the Ipod mini, 6Gb version. I bought it in june and so far so good.

There was a huge battery lifetime issue with generation 1 & 2 iPods, it's supposed to be better now, mines a gen3 or 4 so I hope mine will be alright for awhile.

But the iPod seriously rocks though, I use mine all the time. I don´t even use the radio or cd in my car any more, I just plug my iPod into the stereo system and off I go :)

4. Still looking at the newer creative zen myself...they sound better.

I like iPods just fine, but sometimes you have to admit some people expect too much from something like this: like holding up and not snapping when sat upon by the owner's derriere or something.

You wouldn't sit on a pair of sunglasses, WHY would you sit on the iPod?

Sure all electronics are fragile, and I don't wholly see the allure of smaller=better, but Apple apparently does. Then again, they hardly make the best hardware... they just continue to make the better looking, better marketed hardware tho, and that's how they win.(I'm talking MP3 players here, their computers are awesome) The "it" factor. Style over substance. Whatever you wanna call it.

5. I have not shared your bad luck with iPods. I've been very happy with mine. I've owned nearly every version dating back to the original in 2001.

However, there were issues with the batteries. I'm not sure about running out quickly, but rather you couldn't replace them when they DID run out. Apple's initial solution was a replacement cost that was almost as much as a new iPod. They eventually caved and began a replaement program for $99.

As far a the Nano, I've heard the screens have been cracking easily on a small number of units.

I have a 20GB click wheel, 4GB Mini and a Shuffle. They all work flawlessly and are very durable. I'm sure there are exceptions to every situation, but on the whole, iPods are pretty tremendous machines.

Hope you have better luck!

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I could never justify the cost of an iPod, but when Radio Shack started offering the Olympus m:robe MR-100 for $99 after rebate, I jumped.

I think 5 gig will work out just fine for me, plus the battery is consumer replaceable.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    A blanket statement that could be applied to any argument.

8. But with Bruce's long running history of anti-iPod-isms, not terribly surprising.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well it's not me saying these things - it was the BBC consumer programme "Watchdog" and several of today's newspapers in Britain are reporting problems with nanos - seems to me that I was right about "Emperor's new clothes" - but of course those who see them won't change their views!! ;)

10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Actually, I read an article about the Nano, and how they sat on it, dropped it from various heights, and it would not give up the ghost. They had to drop if from a moving car, TWICE, to get it to quit.

11. Yeah, I realise that Bruce, just ribbing you. The iPod, tho clearly the sales winner, has always had problems here and there...moreso than I hear about most other players... possibly because it's so iconic?

Like I said, the Creative sounds better, imo, and seems to be rock solid. Just not as pretty. But you CAN get it in pretty colors like the iPod mini (which is now discontinued...dumb move, since it was the most attractive, and best selling one in the line)

12. Bruce Lindfield

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The reason why you don't hear problems about the other brands is because they hardly sell any :) . If you compare iPod's market share to theirs it is like comparing the sales of Ford's F series to the closest Chevy/CMC competitor (GM is waaaay behind).

The others offer good value no doubt. But they're not iPods :p . When everybody plays Streetfighter, why would you bother with Fatal Fury?

14. So because they sell more instantly makes them better? There's a flaw in yer thinkin friend. :D

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I have had my iPod (15G) for a bit over a year now, and have never had a problem with it. I have a slipcover rubber case for it, and it has performed flawlessly. The only battery gripe I have is that the battery indicator is far from accurate. It doesn't always "catch up" after a charge, and you can get about a half hour of play after it says "empty".

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nah, just means they're far more popular.

And as far as the competition analogy, I doubt it's as close as GM's to Ford's truck. Probably like Ford's to SAAB's cars.

I have a very early 20gb unit in a nice rubber case (I drop it far more often than I'd like) and it has been problem free. For what it does I'm very happy with it.

17. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    FWIW..Ive had more trouble with iTunes than with my iPod...Especially the last version (5.0).

My iPod has worked perfectly for the 10 months Ive had it...I love the design.

In my opinion its expected to have a few horror stories when you sell that many of them.

18. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, that would be this article .

19. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Given all of the documented customer fiascos with the IPod, you'd figure that by now that Mr. Jobs would have at least have learned that people want a portable music player that is (1) durable and (2) runs for at least the length of a commute.

Sadly, the new Nano, while cool, is fragile as hell (acceptable for something with moving parts, inexcusable for a flash player) and runs for only 14 minutes a charge (again, inexcusable for a flash player).

Another example of not listening to customers. Fortunately, Apple still has the marketing clout to sell these things and deal with the fallout.

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    There's a flaw with yer eyesight. I never said they were better :D