IQ tests

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Every time I take an IQ test I see questions about history and deffinitions of words etc. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? It seems to me like seeing whether or not a person knows the deffinition of a word that no one ever actually uses is a very bad way of determining how intelligent that person is. Again, knowledge of historical facts doesn't make a person intelligent, it simply shows that they are educated about said subject. And I would imagine that someone is actually getting paid to come up with these questions. What's up with IQ tests?
  2. Look who took an online IQ test and got a 50.... :D :p
  3. they should be called intelligence/lack of ignorance tests
  4. What do you propose be on IQ tests?

History and definitions of words are a part of general "getting along in society" things.
  5. Much research goes into IQ tests and the type of questions that should be on them. I personally think that they do a pretty good job, considering all the difficulties involved in a test of that kind.

6. DO know that IQ stands for Intelligence Quotient...right?? ;)
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Maybe "ignorance quotient" would be easier to measure? The problem with IQ tests is, they're language specific, culture specific, and upbringing-specific. These are well known and well studied issues that have been in the public domain for lots of years. Really, running metrics on someone's brain is an exceedingly difficult exercise. Ever take an MMPI? They ask you questions like "Do you believe in God?" If you say "no", you get a point for depression, and if you say "yes", you get a point for schizophrenia. Meaningless? Probably. The "result" of tests like that is supposed to be a factored average over many answers in many domains of mental function. And, the results have to be interpreted loosely. The "confidence level" of the outcomes usually involves a much wider spread than a single point, or even a few points. In the MMPI, they look for "big peaks" in the histogram. In the IQ test, they should probably cast the results in terms of the confidence level, like "you have an IQ of 140, +/ 20", something like that. Without being able to calculate the confidence level, one should probably preface the result with a word like "approximately". Unfortunately, there are still educational institutions that do "hard cutoffs" on the IQ levels of their applicants. One would think they would have "learned" after all these years. An interesting concept would be to run the equivalent of an IQ test on a corporate or government entity. Given today's sociological models, that should be possible. :)
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    All the "real" ones I've taken are geared towards pattern recognition ("what comes next in the series" questions), spatial problem solving, math, and such things.

Knowledge tests meanwhile, are more English/literature based.

Depending on the test I take (some are geared differently) I score anywhere from a 110 to a 168. Take these things with a grain of salt, to say the least.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The only thing an IQ test measures is how many questions you answered correctly on an IQ test.
  10. So cool you said it twice!

Leave it there...please...
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They were slightly different.
  12. You tricky fiend! I see that twinkle in your eye!

:D :D
  13. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Oh, you mean the ILOI test? That's been defunct for years, now.
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  15. I realize IQ stands for intelligence quotient, and that's my problem with the silly things. A person could be unbelievably intelligent and still not know who defeated the Spanish Armad(d?)a. I know who it was, but I'm willing to bet the most intelligent person I know doesn't have a clue who Sir Francis Drake was. (Nor would such a person be likely to care.)

So all I'm saying is that they should either be called something else, or otherwise they should remove questions that don't tell you anything about a persons level of intelligence. I guess they just include knowledge oriented questions because it's difficult to come up with multiple choice questions that can be solved with reason alone without them all being unbelievably easy.
  16. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I think you should be required to spell "definition" before you are allowed to take an IQ test.
  17. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

I RAWK!!!
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you can almost hear the joke going over your head :smug:
  19. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What joke? ;)