Iraq War

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Mar 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i feel that it's wrong that there's no mention allowed of what's going on in iraq, even though i still am against political threads here at talkbass, so i'm going to try an experiment, as suggested by wrong robot. this here thread is the only place that this kind of discussion will be permitted outside of the lobby, and only because of the gravity of the situation going on. i feel that it's an important feature of talkbass that, beyond the discussions and disagreements, we have a forum to support one another. we have members who have familly members involved in this, we have members who may live near where this is occuring, and we all will be impacted by this situation, so i think it's important to have a forum to discuss it.

however, i'm going to be watching this thread VERY closely. have anything to say on the topic? put it here, but remember

any crap in here will be met with extreme action. i'm going to take full responsibility for this thread, so please respect your fellow members and the site and behave. :)
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Okay, I'll bite. My feelings about the war in Iraq:

1) I support our troops fully and without reservation, but strongly disapprove of the road that got them where they are and those who built it.

2) I am very sad that this administration seems to have destroyed the goodwill of most of the rest of the world since the outpouring of support that followed 9/11.

3) Those who make only right or left turns do nothing but drive in circles.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm scared. Big font. Must hide.
  4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ok, that's a good start.

anybody else?
  5. Chris, I respect and agree with the sentiments that you have expressed.
  6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I am concerned with the precedent we have set for the rest of the world. What is to stop a country like, for instance, China from doing a premtive strike on Taiwan, for instance? Or India and/or Pakistan? We have opened up a big can of worms with this one.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    very cool...i have a unique outlook on the whole situation over there as do the rest of the military talkbassers. i think i speak for all of them when i say that a true warrior hopes that scenarios like these never occur but we're always ready to go. well, the hammer was put down, and we're all ready to go like hell...does that make us warmongers or bad people? i don't think so. we're just doing our job...i know a lot of people think that we go in and do our job blindly and without remorse for what could potentially happen...there are some demonstrators across the water in seattle right now comparing the united states military, the behemoth that it is, to hitler's nazis, yet we go over there and put ourselves on the line so that they can continue to carry their little signs in safety from the regime that we're trying to tear down. whether people see it or not, i feel that this action is completely necassary, though a little untimely; i think we should've done this a long time ago. is it the right thing to do? i have no clue...who does? but this action has my complete support. i just hope that these guys see the futility of the situation and surrender arms to the first american troops they see. there is nothing to be gained with the unnecassary loss of human life, but woe be unto whatever stands in the wake of this invasion...the life of anyone standing in the way will be considered but will not be a deterrent in the achievement of the mission's objective...that's the way of war. shall i quote "a few good men?" :D i always think of the part where jack nicholson is on trial in that movie when the subject of war comes up.
  8. Neptoon, thanks for doing what you do, so that we ARE free to express ourselves. Our Service men and women rock!
  9. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I think this thread is a good idea. I hope people are able to have a rational discussion about the invasion. I want to say that I wish people would quit calling it a "war" when it is in fact an "invasion". I also want to say that since this looks like it will be Hussein's last stand, won't he use his "weapons of mass destruction" if he has any? I think that if he doesn't, then it's likely that he never had any.
  10. I agree with DURRL.

I pray for all the people in Iraq. The people fighting for our country and the innocent citizens living there. I hope things turn out alright in the end.
  11. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    +1 Scary stuff, man. Scary stuff.
  12. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it's my pleasure, man
  13. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    Is the end of United Nations?
  14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

We did not set this precedent however.
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Pretty much what Chris said plus maybe this:

1) The Government of the U.S. broke international public law [? - Völkerrecht].

Like slam said, an invisible line has been crossed. Breaking the law to keep another country from breaking the law? This used to be a don't in everybody's book, but now the Bush administration has shown they don't care anymore. After weakening the U.N. for years, it is now totally ignored - not a good sign.

No matter what the real reasons for the war are, it's pretty disturbing that we [European governments etc.] are getting beaten by members of the U.S. government [Rumsfeld et al] for exercising exactly those democratic principles [differing opinions, a culture of argumentation about those opinions etc.] that were brought to us after WW 2. What's going on here?!?!?

Hopefully the world community can recover from this bad development.

2) This war will not end terror and instability, but really start it.

3) Germany couldn't have joined this war even if they wanted to (they didn't), because our constitution forbids participating in an attack war.

4) Building a democracy in the Iraq is a fairy-tale.
  16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    OK, read if you want. But don't bother responding.
    I don't care what anyone has to say about my opinion, so don't try to change it. I won't comment on how you feel, so do the same and we can each lay out whatever postion we want.

I lay this conflict in the hands of Saddam Hussein for insisting on playing games with the world community and grasping onto his WMD. There could be no political influence, national pride, religious prejudice that could make me overlook that fact, and it is a shame so many people in the world are able to shift blame away from him so readily for those and other trivial purposes.

I hold accountable the UN in general which failed to enforce his disarmming (since 1991 - so that includes the US), and didn't have the backbone to step up and prevent war. So since we are officially operating under the UN's mandate, since this is a folow up of the cease-fire agreement of 1991 with which Saddam failed to comply.

Part of the blame goes to the protesters around the world and here who provided moral support and encouragement to Iraq's regime. They allow their distain for the US or bitterness that someone they want is not in office overshadow the fact that Saddam is a vile, cruel, criminal threat to civilization.

Part of the blame goes to the US State Dept. for being naive, and allowing themselves to be backstabbed by a security counsel member. However, that's a lesson I'm certain they will remember for a very, very long time.

Pray for peace. Pray for Saddam to give up, one way or another. Pray for the Iraqi people to rise up and regain the dignity and the culture of a civilization that came about on this planet with the very concept itself.
  17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Uh...may I ask why?
  18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree with this, and couldn't have said it better myself.
  19. Good point Josh.

Zulufunk, thanks to you also for what you do. You ARE appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.