Iraq's reaction to the Columbia distaster

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Feb 1, 2003.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Iraq: 'Columbia' is God's punishment of US

The Iraqi government issued a statement calling the Columbia shuttle disaster God's punishment of America.

According to Army Radio, the statement also mentions Israel's first astronaut, Col. Ilan Ramon, who was on board, as Ramon was among the pilots of a fleet of jet fighters that bombed and destroyed Iraq's Osirak nuclear reactor in a daring mission in 1981
  2. That link is just taking me to a page asking me to become a member.:confused: I'm not getting to see the story.

What are they saying? How much are they blaming God for it? How much are they saying it's a punishment?:confused:
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I didn't read Jeff's link...I heard Dan Rather(CBS News) say it-
    "Allah has brought down the craft with the Americans & Jew over Bush's Texas".
    That's paraphrasing & the general gist.
    It's the same 9-11 "logic" all over again.

It's to be expected...
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

After remembering that the newspaper wants you to become a member, I edited my post and pasted the article.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    let iraqi news service say what they want - the more vile they get, the more public opinion will turn against them.
  6. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Someone else reads the Jerusalem Post?!?! Cool!

Now back to the topic... Iraqis voted a couple of weeks ago that they didn't recognise Bush or Koffi Annan as the leaders of represtentatives of anything... they are a country of uneducated fools (the guys in Sadaam's gov't anyways) and thus proove once again that they should be taken out of power so the people of Iraq can prosper.
  7. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    ...well, that should pretty well strengthen the public sentiment here in the US...(in support of the President)
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you want news, you have to read where it's reported!
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, let's just wait and see how god punishes Saddam's sorry ass.

Nonetheless, it's hard to escape the irony.
  10. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just remember that Saddam (and by extension the Iraqi news service, of course) is playing the troll in the same fashion that you mods get to deal with around here. Of course, the stakes are infinitely higher. The rules of the game are the same, though...

If we repeat what he says, respond to it - he wins. If we let it anger us - he wins.

If we allow him to foster any ill will towards the muslim world (the Iraqi people not affiliated with his government, included), if we allow him to goad religious sentiment and elicit a reactionary rally around our own faith - then we lose.

Treat him like the troll that he is... and simply ignore him. Do not react. Do not repeat the things he said... or he wins.
  11. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey, hows abouts we all be Americans and show our "patriotism" by letting others have their beliefs.
  12. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I've been really fearing some disaster like this at this time. Dont get me wrong, they're bad anytime. But when something like this happens, it gives leaders the foothold they need to whip their people into patriotic frenzy. Even if it wasn't an outside source that caused the event, it can still be used as a tool to make people more "pro-(insert country). Do i think Sadam is bad? yes.. evil. A monster. However i think that attacking him is wrong and more so... the President is attacking him for the wrong reasons. So something like this happening might be just enough to push public opinion over into Bush's favor... and i'm afraid to think about whats going to happen if that happens.
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I would not, at this time, expect alot of counciliatory exchanges between America and Iraq.
  14. hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I recall in the mid-90's there was a brief problem with Iraq and NK (of all countries) sending rogue transmissions to the space shuttle.

I believe the transmissions until then had been either weakly encrypted or not encrypted at all.

For whatever reason, the Iraqis and NK's disliked thr shuttle.

I wonder, though, if this statement is really from an Iraqi source.

It seems this statement would be more effective at promoting American vengence than galvanizing anti-American sentiment.
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ever wondered why Psychologists are so rich. Because we all play mind games. Terrorism is as much about mind games as it is about violence. And in this respect they seem to be winning. Donkey's right, if we flinch every time something bad happens and start with the "maybe it was terrorists or Iraq" talk, they win without even lifting a finger. They have the potential to play us for fools and half the world wants to let them.

Space travel is dangerous. There are risks no mater how careful you are. Accidents happen and no matter how tragic, we're gonna have to start accepting them on face value rather than blindly finger pointing. It's for the benefit of the entire world.....
  16. Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    *bangs head on wall*

Now a lot of us American morons are gonna give our support to Bush, so he can go bomb the people of Iraq... when really they did nothing, they don't want war (most at least), it's their ****ed up government, and that bastard in charge of it all, that wants to stir all this dirt up... damnit.

Damnit, damnit, damnit.
  17. Yeah, it sucks. Secretdonkey is dead on. The American people as a whole could use a great dose of maturity, but they'd rather be "safe" than free.
  18. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's a song lyric if ever I heard one! Nicely said.
  19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Well, I think Saddam should be punished to begin with so my opinions don't really fit in here anyways, but nonetheless....

What kind of uncivilized, sick bastard would say, in no uncertain terms, "Ha ha you had it coming anyways" when something like this happens. What kind of morbid creature (can't call him a human in this case) would say it was god's "punishment" on the U.S. when NYC was attacked. If for absolutely no other reason than what he said about these tragedies, the man should be taken out of power for has lack of respect for human life.

My $.02.

20. hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I heard a report on the news this afternoon saying the Iraqi foreign minister expressed sorrow for the US and reminded the US that the Iraqi beef is with the US gov't.

(I am not opposed to the war, btw).