irc based chat

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by way_of_opiatism, Apr 22, 2003.

1. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    or something that allows you to kill a nick thats a ghost in the room. i cant get back in because my ghost is still waiting to time out.
  2. dark_fang

Apr 26, 2003
    The server takes the name off by itself when it doesn't "pong" anymore. which is usually 3 can't speed it up.
    But attempted murder is crime...human, machine, irc server all the same, if you DO manage to kill it, then it'll turn around and fuggingly sue you for misuse of it. :rolleyes: :D
  3. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    i've had to wait more than 15 minutes before. the only reason i can think is that it pings on a different port than the chat actually uses, i havent really looked that deep into it, but the whole scheme is lacking. copy abilities or clickable links would be nice also.

and hey you cant even use this chat! so what are you talking about?!

and also the three minute rule only applies to certain irc servers. different servers use different time outs. also servers using nickserv have the /msg nickserv ghost <nick> <pass> function to kill ghosts. then if youre an ircop you can just /kill.
  4. dark_fang

Apr 26, 2003
    I was just giving the 3 min example based on the server which i am currently using. :)

What do you mean, "You can't use this chat??"

Most of the time I'm not an ircop, so therefore i can't kill myself or anyone.

5. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    well this is the suggestion forum for, supporting members can use the chat that is on the site. if you were supporting you could use it, but youre not so you cant ;)
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    15 minutes...

I've waited hours & hours before! I was once stuck out of chat for an entire afternoon, maybe 4 or 5 hours. Everytime I came back, my ghost was still in the room, and I couldn't get back in!
  7. dark_fang

Apr 26, 2003
    yeh bout you just go in in irc using a different nick.
    then you don't have to wait hrs for ur ghost to finally ping out.
  8. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    oy vey

its not irc. im asking about an irc based chat, which is what the suggestion forum is for. you cant change your name because its a supporting member thing, you've got your chat name and thats the only one you get (ignoring the 20 dollar way ;) ). its alright though i know you didnt know :)

if we had a server to log onto first we could kill our ghosts and get back in, have ping outs and disconnects posted to the room and disconnected from the server. it would be easier to use if i could use my irc client to connect because i dont normally run java, and its a pain for alot of users. the benefits are huge man, huge. the ammenities include:
    channel statistics
    weekly updates (w/ random quotes, really funny)
    full screen
    minimizable to tray
    can share files of your playing
    paste AND copy
    robotic mods
    ping out disconnects
    messages from server to room about disconnects
    (instead of hey that guy isnt responding to me how rude, you get (rude_guy (disconnected*** (time out))) )
    its only java based if you use a java client
    multiple free clients available
    password verification, allowed user lists etc

i assume irc is nothing complicated for someone that set this place up.
  9. dark_fang

Apr 26, 2003

I always though it's solely based on the client or IP rather than the nicknames. :meh: