Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Iriver vs. Ipod

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Nov 1, 2004.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    What do you think is better?
    I say Iriver. The i-pod looks good on the outside, but is bad on the inside. While the Iriver is good on the inside and bad on the outside.
    By inside, i mean the software and hardware, the way it works.

Also, it seems that the people who have ipods don't actually know how they work. But people with Irivers do know how they work.

What annoys me most, is the ipod people arguing with iriver people. their only argument is "It looks better". But its in your pocket all the time!!!

As you can see, i am getting very annoyed with ipod people!

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    When iRiver learn the meaning of user support and customer service, they may start moving some units. Until then, i'd avoid them.

see www.iriver.com/community

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Dave,

I started a thread on pretty much this exact topic a while back. Do a search.

brad cook

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'm old and stupid. What's an ipod, and what does it do?

Really.

:bag:

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    An iPod (pronounced "eye-pod") is a popular mp3 player that's produced by Apple but works with Apples or PCs. mp3's are compressed music files. You could buy a 20 gig iPod and convert hundreds of CDs to mp3 files and load them on the iPod and take it with you to listen to any time like a walkman except a walkman that holds your entire CD collection on one tape. That's the idea behind all compressed audio players but iPod is the most popular one.

brad cook

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yup...I definitely LOVE my iPod and couldn't tell you how it works.

Fortunately, I don't care. It works. :p

8. None of the current mp3 players are remotely close to adequate in terms of storage for the typical serious musician.

I have I don't know, 700 CDs or something? I have friends with like 4000 CDs. Let's pretend for a minute that I want to listen to mp3s. (In certain situations, mp3s are just fine) at 192 kBps, each CD takes up oh, 90MB. I'd need a 63GB device for my CD collection. My friend would need a 360GB device. That's assuming we never buy any music ever again.

Plus, I have about 40GB of mp3s on my computer.

OK, so if there was a 100GB device, I would think about it. The price I'd be willing to pay for a 100GB mp3 player is probably about $250. So, maybe sometime in 2006, I'll get one.

Oh yeah, did I mention it should have the ability to plug in a mic and get a decent recording of live music?

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    iRiver.

brad cook

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    He said decent live recording, not one thats has intermittant sound every couple of minutes :cool:

:D

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well..if you wanna get technical about it... :spit:

brad cook

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wasn't there a thread here though where a couple of people said they get good band recordings and whatnot with their iRivers?

brad cook

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yeah I think the problems with both iRivers and iPods are relatively minor in the scheme of things. Ie I have an iPod and have had absolutely no trouble doing exactly what I want it to do - play audio files for 5-10 hours per day (while im at work). I havent used any other features on it nor do i intend to. That I think is iRIver's problem, they went overboard on features and forgot ease of use (and good looks). Ultimately for 90% of people, those two things will reign supreme - there are less people who want the good techie features that iRiver offer, but they also happen to be the ones who complain most on the internet about both iRIver's support and iPods inferiority.

14. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Yes, i get great band recordings via the line in with a sony omnidirectional mic. The interrupt thing i've noticed happens, but not very often, its not that bad really. The sound quality rivals a mini disk imho

If you wanted a production quality recording you would obviously not use minidisks, irivers or what not.... ;) :p

15. Oh yeah, and it should be a cell phone. And a camera. And still cost $250. And be connected to the internet, and understand a huge range of voice commands. And still be comfortable to carry in my pocket. So maybe 2007.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Perhaps it will make your lunch for you as well?

While you are complaining about the state of portabile music players at the moment, a lot of us are enjoying the ability to have huge amounts of music with us at any time (right now). Can I fit my whole CD collection on my 40gb iPod? No....but the 40gb (5000 songs) I have on there at the momement is about 24days of continuous round the clock listening - the fact that not all my CD's fit hasn't bothered me at all so far....

17. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    And a taser gun for self defence :D

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    60 gig brother http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/ .

19. They just cost too much for what they are, and how long I expect to use the model I could buy, given the rate of tehcnological advancement. Money's not particularly tight or anything, but $400 for 7 cubic inches of stuff, it better do something god damned amazing. And the newest 60GB one is $600.

Here is the complete list of things I own that are worth >$400 on the open market right now.

One of my basses
    My car (and potentially not that, depending what the garage says tomorrow)

End of list.

The list of anything I ever paid >$400 for is a little longer, but not much.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I figure it like this, I spend 9-10 hours per day in the office, most of which I can be listening to music. That equates to 7-10 CDs per day roughly 240 days per year that I would have to carry to work. Is $650Aus to much to pay to not have to do that? Nah :D