1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Iron Ether Oxide or Team Awesome Fuzz Machine?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ginsly, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Looking for one last fuzz pedal, and I think it's between these two. Considered a Malekko B:assmaster, but it looks like the Oxide can do a good approximation of it. The TAFM looks great too, and I like that it's germanium (it is, right?). I play heavy psych rock - which one would you recommend? Thanks!

2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Check out my review on the Oxide thread... but, since you're into pych-rock, I think you'd be very pleased with the Oxide.

3. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I actually had the very same question in my head the other day. They both sound amazing on the clips, so it was very hard to decide. I ended up getting the TAFM, and I'm glad I did. This thing is just awesome. It's stomps the crap out of my Swollen Pickle any day. I like how every note is heard even with the fuzz turned all the way up. Plus it's a SUPER loud pedal. It seems like some of the pedals I've gone through tend to lose the notes, but this things doesn't (at least I haven't experienced that yet). I still would like to get the Oxide Fuzz eventually too though.

4. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    id say oxide but i seem to say that in an awful lot of threads..............

5. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    If you seek one and only one fuzz, I'd say the TAFM (though I've not played an oxide). It's like a swiss army knife of dirtiness, though also is the Oxide.
    Again, I vote TAFM.

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I just spent some more time with the Oxide... doing some pretty incredible synth things on the gated side of the morph control. I haven't any experience with the TAFM, so I can't really comment from personal experience.

But, for what it's worth, I'm selling my Supercollider as a result of getting the Oxide.... compared to the Oxi. the SC sounds thin and kind of one dimensional.

7. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    This is gonna be a tough decision! The TAFM is all germanium and the Oxide is all silicon, right?

8. i hope you weren't wanting the pink TAFM from fuzzhugger...cause i just bought it :ninja:

anyway, i was between the same two pedals, and after listening to what clips i could find, i went with the TAFM. they both look awesome, i dont think you can go wrong with either. it will just come down to personal taste which means you just have to buy one and try it. you can always sell it here and go with the other one if you dont mind loosing a little cash to find whats right for you.

here is a link to the vid that i based my decision on:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNl_IYFu40c&feature=related

and to be fair, heres one of the IE oxide:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTpEfFwRgRQ

good luck! :D

ps, the guy at fuzzhugger said more TAFMs are on order and will be in stock in two weeks.

9. Wud

Wud

Apr 11, 2009
    They are both quite far apart in circuit design terms aren't they ?

From what I've read the TAFM is very very high gain.
    The Oxide certainly isn't a massive gain monster.

I've got a heroic dose of the Iron Ether Oxide and I'm not ever going back to life without it!

:hyper::bassist::)

TAFM is maybe in my future, but only if I still have a job in 6 months time ?

10. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    very well put ;)