1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Iron Ether Oxide Volume question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BBKINGBASS, Jun 5, 2011.

1. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    I just got my oxide yesterday and got to play with it for a few hours before my show last night.

The first thing I noticed is that this pedal is very hot depending upon you set. I was having trouble getting any type of unity gain with it. Everything setting was leaps and bounds above my normal volume.

The only way I could get a working volume was to put my drive down to about 9 and put the strangle on.

How do you guys deal with the volume and unity gain with this pedal. Part of me wants to mod it or have it moded with a master volume. Any thoughts?

2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I don't experience this... I generally run my oxide one of two ways. First, if I'm using it to drive a filter, I turn the strangle off and set the drive around 2:00-4:00pm, fuzz and clean volumes at about 3:00pm and achieve unity. If I'm using the strangle, generally for straight fuzz or running some octave into the fuzz, I set the fuzz and clean volumes 5:00 or even dimmed.

Are you playing an active bass?

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    The Fuzz knob controls the volume of the fuzz, and the Clean knob controls the volume of your clean signal.

So you can set the output volume anywhere from silence to a boost using the volume knobs. Try setting them both to about 9 o'clock. Don't use Strangle or any controls besides the volume controls to set volume - these are for tonal changes rather than volume changes. Use the volume knobs to control volume.

Hope that helps! :)

4. BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    I'm using a 57' reissue pbass with the original passive pickup.

I'm running it into a VT bass.

5. BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    Thanks Taylor I'll give it a try. Your pedal rocks btw.

6. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yeah, what Matt and Taylor said. i've never had a problem with my Oxide being too quiet.

let us know if you have better luck!

7. BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    Hey behndy, sorry I should have worded my OP better but my problem was it being too loud.

But I tried last night and used the fuzz volume and clean at 9 and I was golden. On a side not since I run this into VT bass, I realized that with the VT on (which the way I usually run it all the time) I lost some clarity and character with the oxide. When I turned it off the VT and had the oxide run straight into the amp, every nuance of the fuzz could be heard.

8. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    lulz. nope. your op was clear. i was being a git and said the wrong thing.

cool! yeah, it's a hell of a pedal. VERY versatile. enjoy!

oh yah, i run a Rusty Box as a preamp, so i keep that at the end of my chain. if you're using the VT as a dirt/overdrive/boost, try putting it before the Oxide. dirt -> fuzz gives it a bit of oomph sometimes.