Iron Ether Subterranea question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MYLOWFREQ, Jul 16, 2016.

1. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Hi everyone,

So I'm thinking of getting an octave pedal, but I'm Also considering the IE Subterranea. My problem is that I can't justify two pedals on my board.

I like my OC2, and heard that the Cog -16 is similar to that with better tracking, So I was thinking of getting that. I Also like the Aguillar Octamizer and like how it sounds and tracks.

My question is: how good the IE is in terms of sound and tracking when you compare it to the Cog, or let's say the Aguillar Octamizer as an only octave down effect? I don't mind bending down and adjusting the IE depending on the situation.

Thanks in advance, rock.

2. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    I can't speak on the COG . But I have the Sub-T and the Aggie. They sound completely different. The Aggie tracks better with my technique and bass.

The Sub-T is more OC-2 while the Aggie is more stable and solid sounding octave. I know describing sound is difficult but that's how I hear it.

3. MYLOWFREQ

May 13, 2011
    Thanks for the response! I like the sound of the OC-2 and would be totally fine regarding the sound aspect of the Sub-D.

So from what I understand, you think the Sub-D is not an efficient octave only effect tracking wise, correct?

4. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    It is a good tracking octave but I found the Aggie to be better... However for the sound I am after at the moment I prefer the Sub-T.

Funnily enough I am keep the Sub-T and giving the Aggie to my guitarist.

5. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    the sub t is an octave pedal so you'll only need the one

6. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I have both on my board. Both are awesome at what they do.

If you want octave, get the T-16. It tracks so well, sounds thick, and just dips into the synth sound. It's a very smooth sound and has a bit of bite when the filter is open. Lot of volume too.

The SubT is more synth voiced, but certainly does the octave thing well. It's very buzzy sounding with the other voices on which is perfect for filters and crafting synth sounds. The tracking is not as good as the T-16, but with some learning it will do well. It's more dynamic and expressive and the filter on the sub voice is wider and has a bit more chewy drip.

If I had to sell one it would and likely will be the T-16, but not because it's not awesome, it really is, is just really prefer the SubT range of sounds.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. MYLOWFREQ

May 13, 2011
    Thank you all for the responses so far! All great info, but I'm still torn in between getting the Sub-T and the T-16.

I'm getting the Wonderlove filter, and I do have the mxr bass dist, and the woolly mammoth clone. I want to be able to have a nice sounding octave down only and love the sound of the T-16. But on the other hand, I want to get synthy as well..

I gotta decide if I should

A)

Get the T-16 for the octave down, and combine the T-16, with the bass dist, and/or wooly mammoth and the Wonderlove to get nice synth sounds

or,
    B)

Get the Sub-D and use it as an octave down only, as well as a synth combined with the Wonderlove.

I guess it's better tracking (A) verses the nice synth sounds I could be getting from the option B.

Although maybe I'll get very good synth sounds with the option A that I don't need the Sub-D as I already have a distortion, fuzz, and an octave pedal combined with the Wonderlove.

Decisions....

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022