1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Iron Ether Xerograph

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wolffman, May 11, 2011.

1. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    I did a search and I dont think the Xerograph has it's own thread, it's been piggy backing on all the other IE pedal threads... I think I'm ready to jump on one of them to replace my MF-101... the big question is which one... What are your thoughts?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    By which one I assume you mean the standard versus the Deluxe?

It really depends on what you use the Moog for now. The standard Xero doesn't have an envelope follower which means it can either operate as a static low pass filter (for things like dub sounds) by setting the cutoff where you'd like OR as an expression swept filter for doing wah sounds or synthy tones when there's other pedals generating harmonic content.

The Deluxe model can do everything the standard can but also adds an envelope follower and additional controls to shape how it functions (up/down switch, fast/slow switch, sensitivity) and it also features a clean blend.

Basically, if you want an envelope filter you should get the Deluxe. If you just want a simple low pass filter with expression control of the sweep get the standard model.

Hope that helps.

3. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    yeah- I’ve got the differences figured out. I really only use the moog at the very end of my signal chain to do slow foot expression controlled filter sweeps with the cutoff set low enough where almost zero sound is leaking out to full sound spread over a meausure- sometime i do sweep it much quicker though. Most of the time the settings are left alone but i do mess with envelope/resonance/2-4pole/speed to give it a different sound. I probably won’t NEED the envelope follower feature the deluxe because I have a GR2 & will get the source audio BEF Pro… So I’m thinking I only need the standard BUT the deluxe Xerograph is the same size and not too much more… so maybe it’d be nice to have the additional features. So torn!

4. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would get the Deluxe just based off of the downsweep mode. I have used it on several tracks since I got it dialed in. It is one of the sounds that I just keep coming back to. I was borrowing a MF101 just before I received the Xero, and I prefer the sound of the Xero. All of the other benefits made it an easy decision for me.

5. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    yeah after typing it all up i guess its a no brainer...

6. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    my Xero Deluxe came in today! its awesome!

i've been using this set up for a while now. with the additional of the Xero, this made it complete. this is the board that i'll be using to Malaysia next month. it'll be a long gig! this is just what i need now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    Im kind of a filter junky and am down to the filter twin and the proton. Any comparison thoughts, Im digging the expresson pedal capability and the clips on the site make it sound synthylicious!

8. Gaaaaaaah. USPS sent mine to the wrong address. At least it has a tracking number so I can follow the mayhem.

9. M Sterling

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
  10. GHI

GHI

May 27, 2008
    Norway
  11. M Sterling

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's just the power input. It is heavy duty, though!

12. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    ...God, this waiting is KILLING me! Anyone else waiting on a Xero?

13. Tandrew

Tandrew

Jan 9, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    not anymore, but I did have to wait a long long time and I must say it was well worth the wait :bassist: and Taylor was very accomodating ... now if I could only conjure up some clips :bag:

14. Here's another xero pic to help with the wait anxiety.

attachment.

15. Mine arrived today. VERY excited. Mine took 2 1/2 weeks door-to-door including all shipping time and a USPS mess up. That's really quick.

16. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Standard Xero here. Purchased it to replace the Moog LPF.
    Small size. Standard power requirements. Sounds great. Bombproof. What's not to like:p
    5224440917_6d0fd145b4_z.

Although the thought of the Xero Deluxe to handle my envelope AND LPF needs in one pedal is enticing:help:

17. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Mr. Pickles my friend...the Deluxe is a MADMAN!!:eek: The sounds I seem to coax out of it are just ridiculous! I've never had a pedal that small do so much, and I have barely scratched the surface I'm sure!

18. I have the deluxe minus the clean blend and I agree that the deluxe version is just MAD. Throw an expression pedal into the mix and things get ridiculous. Taylor is sending me a v2 upgrade chip that improves the down sweep and I expect things will become ZARND!

19. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yer. all Taylor's stuff are BEASTS.

IEXerographPlusOxide.

them's mines.

20. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Slightly OT here... I'm sure I'm the only doofus who doesn't know this, but what brand of patch cable is that you're using, and where can I get them?