Iron Maiden- "Live after death" video/album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jul 22, 2002.

1. bought this video yesterday for £7.99 at HMV.
    it misses out just a couple of songs from the CD album.
    from 1985, when Maiden were at their peak of success, pretty much.

for me it was worth buying just to see them play "rime of the ancient mariner"-
    it's interesting to see how Steve Harris plays the same note in different parts of the neck to facilitate difficult phrases- eg. in "rime" he switches from his favourite 7th fret A string E to the 2nd fret D string E in the riffs at the end of each verse.

also instead of playing the minor third from E to G on the 5th and 7th frets of the A and D strings he hammers it on from the 7th to the 10th fret of the A string in the fast bit just before the chordal break. - more difficult for me to play it that way though.

in the quiet chordal section with the spoken narration he arpeggiates the bass chords first with his thumb only (thumbnail?) and then with his thumb and two fingers- I prefer using 3 fingers for all of it.
    in the open D string drone section it looks like he's using his thumb to pick the D string, and fingers on the G....I use 3 fingers for that again.

I noticed he seems to reach for his tone and volume controls a lot- to check they're full on, presumably, as his tone doesn't change.
    I read in an interview that he had the tone pot dewired on one bass- looks like he should have a controls bypass wired in on all his basses;)

Bruce Dickinson's comments to the crowd are quite funny ("SCREAM FOR ME LONGBEACH!"), especially his intro to "rime..."- I suspect he was a major inspiration for Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap:D

also there seem to be what look like models of Bambi-like deer on either side of the drumkit:confused:
    maybe they were supposed to be Sphinx-type creatures......more Tap-isms....
  2. I owned that video years ago. It got confiscated with a few other items in a break in. Funny, they left the Metallica video... oh, well.

I remember exactly what your saying concerning the position shifts in "Rhime of the Ancient Mariner." I seem to remember him doing a quick position shift in order to land that last note on the riff at the end of the verses. Seems like it would be easier to hit that note on the G string in the same (second) position.

The only thing that took a little getting used to was Bruce Dickinson's vocals. He sure doesn't nail them as good as the studio albums.:)

All in all a great video.
  3. you mean the big jump up to the 9th fret B on the D string?
    I suppose the slide down after is a big part of it, that you can't get on the G string.
    it's interesting that he does play that note sustained on the G string 4th fret in the stops in "hallowed be thy name".

another one is in "aces high" -he plays the fast fill in the "rolling turning" bit all on the D string which requires a shift, when the B and C notes would be easier to get played on the G string.

another video is "the Cure in Orange"- Simon Gallup plays some notes in odd places on the neck- eg. an A to C phrase on the E string in "10.15 saturday night" when it's easier playing the C on the A string.

different strokes for different folks.....
  4. It was this video, rented on VHS about a million years ago, that inspired me to pick up the bass. Vocals are not great, everything else about it is WAY better than any of the other concert footage available. Somebody posted a link to the whole thing on a google video somewhere around here, I forget which thread.
  5. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Is Death On The Road anything like Rock in Rio? That 'style' of video editing is extremely annoying and totally ruins it for me.
  6. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Is this DVD out yet? It showed a release date of 2/5/08, but none of the brick and mortar stores have it in stock yet.:confused:
  7. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    Just finished watching it. I've been waiting for this to come out on DVD for what seems like forever, my VHS tape died eons ago. Steve Harris is the sole reason I became a bass player.

'Kin 'ell! Up the Irons!
  8. Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
  9. Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    I actually saw this tour- Iron Maiden were a force to be reckoned with during this period. I missed out on seeing the Piece of mind tour (my favorite Maiden album), but Powerslave was a wicked album, and the tour (at least the show I saw in Lakeland, Fla) was intense and thunderous. I saw them the following tour for Somewhere in time and it was great, maybe not quite as good as the Powerslave show.

I'll say this, Steve Harris was great both times- he rocked like it was his last show and didnt miss a lick... great player!
  10. Hell of a band in their prime. I'd forgotten how good this stuff was.

Talk about having to bring your 'A' game every night on bass! Wow..
  11. My favorite part is when he says that "Revelations" is a song about religion or washing your car.

His vocals are still damn good, but I agree with you. I don't think I've seen or heard any recording where he hits the high note at the end of "Aces High." He always goes into a scream/yell.
  12. Yep, it's the same only more so! I got dizzy watching it.

Finally got the new DVD a couple of days ago but haven't had a chance to watch the main show, although I did see the documentary last night.
  13. Does he snatch a note somewhere in "Powerslave"? I'm sure he does! I'll watch it again tonight! Harris rules, this vid started me playing n'all. I've no idea why I've never owned a Precision!
  14. Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    True! Bruce's sense of humor is quite unique...

I am pretty sure you're right about that...notice that as these guys get older, it's pretty amazing that they can generally still accomplish what they started over 25 years ago! But, the vocals are never the same on those high notes. This is pretty much the same for all vocalists after their "prime".

P.S. When Maiden played live in Laguna Hills, CA at what is now the Verizon Amphitheatre...Bruce changed the lyrics to:

Laguna Hills, run for your lives!

Really cool, if you were there...(for the record, I wasn't. My best friend was though!...)