Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Iron Maiden Progresive Yes/No and why

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by canadian bass, Feb 21, 2006.

1. I was listening to some Iron Maiden last week specifically the Number of The Beast, and Power Slave. I have not listened to this in music in about 3 years and found it refreshing. Anyhow I was doing the dishes and I thought Iron Maiden have all the elements of Progressive rock. A high pitched singer, songs with significant time changes, lyrical content that could rival 70's Rush, long songs,and big stage productions yet these guys are always refered to as Metal. I look back and they are sort of cross between hair metal and Acdc looks wise, I mean their was some spandex but no make up and alot of jeans like acdc.
    Anyhow I wanted to know what TB'ers thought. I wish to be enlightened.

2. Well, just so you know, I certainly wouldn't consider what you mentioned as the "main elements" of Progressive rock.

But to the original question : Yes for the first 8 albums, then they ceased to progress and just stayed the same

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    No. It's too late here to expand on this, I'm listening to Iron Maiden since 1996 (well stopped listening some months after Brave New World), and the answer imo is no.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    'I wish to be enlightened.'

I have been listening to Iron Maiden since about 1980, have seen seven different tours and was very fortunate to have met the band twice. Regarding their musical style I would say hard rock/heavy metal with melodic guitar riffs and really cool bass lines. Lots of time changes as well. Wouldn't quite put Maiden in the same category as say Rush in terms of style and would not call their music progressive. Maiden are one of the most successful heavy metal bands in the world, no thanks to mainstream radio, who have blacklisted them from the start. I have enjoyed every album but did not care for the Blaze Bailey stuff all that much.

Up the Irons as they say! Maiden rocks.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not a big Maiden fan but I do have a couple albums and was happy to see them live on the Powerslave tour.

Though their music does have some progressive elements, I wouldn't call them progressive because their musical style doesn't change hardly at all.

When I think progressive I think King Crimson.

6. I would call Adrian and Dave progressive rock guitarists trapped in a metal band. Those two could play.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've never heard of Iron Maiden performing with a sequin-caped keyboardist armed with a Hammond organ, minimoog, and Mellotron, so no, not prog. ;)

8. Thanks for the imput. I was looking at a thread that asked what is Prog. I found this reply
    After this I thought Iron Maiden IMO qualifies as this, as well I have heard the typical prog band names thrown around like Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Dream Theater ect.. but then I have heard people say Pink Floyd was Prog, as well as the Beatles and even Metallica, so if Metallica can be prog, can I assume that early Iron Maiden was Prog? I think yes but you guys are right when you say they have not done something new in many years.

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Hmmm I think if you want examples of modern day progressive rock bands you might want to listen to some Queensryche or Dream Theatre. I am not sure what you mean when you say Maiden hasn't done anything new in a while. New album released in 04 and another album to be released in 06. If you mean that they don't change their style well all I can say to that is amen. If aint broke don't fix it!

10. I see proggressive rock as music that is looking forward , looking to progress.

Somewhere in Time is probably Maiden's most proggressive album IMO.