Iron Maiden, Rock In Rio DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hitman9696, Apr 6, 2003.

1. I have this DVD since the first week it came out (Back in the summer). It's a fantastic show! Maiden never looked and sounded better. Dickinson at the top of his game, Nicko banging on the drums like he's a kid again, 3 guitars going wild, and one of my favorites, Steve Harris playing his awesome bass lines... or is he? Can anyone actually here anything?

I don't know about you, but I feel like the bass is on mute! I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING. Only during intros to songs (i.e. Clansman, Sign of The Cross, Hallowed Be Thy Name). But once the intro's over, "they" lower the bass volume to practically nothing! It's really unbelievable, since Harris is really the leader of the band, and he was part of the production crew of the DVD.

I've compared it to other concert DVDs, and nothing comes close to this. The bass is really invisible. The other concert in which the bass is really pushed back is the Metallica S&M. Jason had a reason to leave that band. On the other hand, the Ozzy DVD, "Live at Budokan" kicks serious butt. Robert Trujillo's bass is heard on all levels, and he had tuned down to C. It’s powerful, and cuts through all the time. Jason will LOVE working with Ozzy, Zakk, and Mike Bordin.

Now, back to Rock In Rio. I would like to hear others' opinions on this matter. I really think this is serious. I'm watching Steve play all these great bass lines, but it's like nothing is coming out! I've tried to listen to it on my home stereo system, computer (with subwoofer), laptop, headphones, but to no avail. It's same no matter what. NO BASS!!!

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've had no problem hearing the bass on my DVD. I usually listen to the DTS audio, and the bass comes out loud and clear throughout.

When I watch it on my computer through Klipsch 4.1 surround, it sounds good, too.

So, I dunno. :meh:
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Intersting, I haven't bought it yet because I heard the bass was extremely low in the mix.
  4. Hum, ok, I did not try the DTS yet. All I can confirm is that the stereo mix basically doesn't include the bass... yes, it's that bad. I've compared it to many other concert DVDs, and this is by far the worst. Even worst than S&M.

However, this doesn't mean the overall sound of the music is bad. On the contrary, it rocks! However, it's really annoying to watch Steve Harris play his basslines, and not hear any of it. It's like the bass is mute! Iron Maiden can get away with it, because they have 3 freakin' waylin' guitars. But, Ozzy for example, can't. Therefore, the mix on his DVD is simply perfect. Rob's bass is clear and powerful on the stereo. Zakk doesn't overshadow anyone esle in the band.

I'm really disapointed at Steve Harris. I really thought he would do a better job at it. Oh well, I have to try the DTS audio mix, to hear the diffrence. Maybe the true audio mix is the DTS and Dloby 5.1. Maybe no one is supposed to watch this on normal stereo. It needs more investigating...

Thanks for the reply...
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Please let us know. If it is a matter of changing the setting, which I have the audio gear for, then I want to buiy the DVD.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA guys have me questioning my memory now. I'm going to fire up the dvd when I get home to make sure that I actually hear the bass, and I'm not just imagining it.......:D
  7. I wish I could, but I don't have DTS at home. In fact I don't know anyone who has it. My cousin has Doldy Surround Sound 5.1, but his decoder just burned, so I'm left in the dark, until "bassmonkeee" checks it out again.

I'll ask some friends of mine from college if anyone has. It's good to know people with technology...:D
  8. I just check it out again, and I can really confirm that bass is mixed very low. You can hear it, but it's close to ridiculousness. When you have a guy like Steve Harris playing bass, he should be at least on the same level with the rest of the gang. Remember in “Aces High” you hear him loud and clear? Not the case here. The bass can be qualified as background rhythm. It absolutely doesn’t cut through. You really have to pay attention, and should listen to the studio version of the songs to know what’s going on. It's not that bad if you know the songs. But there is no reason why the bass should be backround noise.

I still recommend it to any Iron Maiden fans out there, because it's a kickass concert, the guys are in great shape (can't wait to see them live), and they give one hell of a performance.

Again, I hope the DTS version is much better.