Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Iron Maiden Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The Hollow, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Hey !

I was wondering if any of u guys know what sort of strings does Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) bassist uses ??

Cause I really need strings right now...

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rotosound flatwounds.

3. Ok... thanx !!!

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yup...another vote for the steve harris sig flats

5. Newsted

Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    Greece(athens)
    he says that it uses Rotosound flatwounds.
    i dont believe it :)

6. Rotosound flats are very bright, brighter than a lot of roundwounds. They're not known for durability, though--Harris can sometimes go through two sets a night.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Don't you think that it's weird though, that his signature series of string is just the same as one of their standard gauges??? I realise that that's ther power of advertising and endorsements, but I wonder what the price difference is just for a different box???

Oh and before I forget, I have recently put a set of Roto 77s on my P-bass Special, now if only I could play like Steve Harris.......

8. I think the SH signature strings have blue silk endings á la West Ham colours instead of the usual red- still not worth paying extra;)

one thing about Rotosound 50-110 flats is the odd gauging - 50-75-95-110

I used to use that Roto flats set, and found the A and D tighter than the others- 50-70-90-110 would even it out.

on my Hohner acoustic I first put a 35-60-80-95 Roto Jazz set on, and similarly found the A and D tighter than the other strings.

Rotosound later changed the gauging to 35-55-75-95 which is a lot more even-feeling - and sounding too, on fretless. that's the set I've got on the Hohner now.
    but they've left the 50-110 set the same:confused:

9. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    These one's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!