Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Iron Maiden's Steve Harris (Merged)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Jun 21, 2000.

1. For as long as I have been on here I have never seen anything about Steve Harris. I personally think he is an excellent bass player and an awesome writer. I would like to hear what others think.

Bottoms up to Steve Harris!

[This message has been edited by funkysurfer (edited June 21, 2000).]

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I have always been a big Steve Harris/Iron Maiden fan. In fact, I've seen Maiden every single time they've been to Detroit since circa 1980. In 1981, when NOTB was released, I thought that the three finger gallup idea was pretty neat. During the 80's when I played in various metal bands, Harris was a major influence on my playing style. These days, it's rather awkward to throw those licks in during a blues number, but I pull it off every now and again ( to the extreme annoyance of my drummer, he's in his mid 50's and doesn't understand these things!!!!).

4. Steve Harris is great!!

I´ve been liking Iron Maiden since 1985 (when I was born)... that´s the music I grew up with...

5. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    I agree with the others.....STEVE RULES!!!!!! Need I say more?? I mean... he ruled 20 yrs. ago, and still does!!!

------------------
    Hey....Who said Ric's are for kids?.....Bye, --MR

6. I agree totally.
    Steve Harris rules..

7. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Could not agree more. When I first started playing bass, a friend and fellow bass player, turned me on to him and the rest was history. I was already a Maiden fan, but didn't realize how good he was until I picked up the bass and started learning. To this day, I play the Trooper 3-4x's, unplugged, before every gig and practice, as a right hand finger exercise. That galloping really loosens up the joints. Does anyone know if their new tour schedule has been released?

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
  9. Bassmouse

Bassmouse

May 14, 2000
    Indeed, Steve Harris is awesome! I recently bought the new album, brave new world, and i am crazy about his songwriting. I was also fortunate enough to see them at roskilde festival in Denmark, and they rocked!!! Also, check out blood brothers on brave new world. Cool acoustic bass part(intro)

------------------
    "It's all music..."

10. B.Hendrix

B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Yea - Steve Harris is also one of my favorites! And yes Doug, The Trooper is a great warm-up! One of the bands I play in plays that one - tons of fun! I never get tired playing it (but it does tire me out!)
    [​IMG]

Bob

11. Vortex

Vortex

Jul 20, 2000
    steve harris is one of the best bassists ever

12. the region

the region

Apr 27, 2000
    He´s been a big influence on my playing. Too bad that be has "grown up" and stopped playing cool fills and stuff like that. He is also WAY down in the mix on the latest Maiden record.
    I think his sound was great on Piece of Mind. Wonderful growl on the verses of Revelations.

13. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    Steve Harris is great. But not the greatest.

------------------
    The Only Mask I Wear is the One I was Born With..

14. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    and who is to say who the greatest is?

15. SBX1

SBX1

Apr 7, 2000
    Seeing Steve Harris I decided to learn to play bass.

For me he's great and his live performances are incredible. ;)

But now I can see others great bassist like Stu Hamm, Dave LaRue and Flea (that guy has an incredible groove)....

but as you write.... STEVE RULES! ;D

16. Purgatory

Purgatory

Sep 25, 2000
    I was just wondering if anyone else out there thinks that Steve Harris is a great bass player? I only started listening to Iron Maiden a few months ago, and now I wish I had listened to them all along.

17. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, Purg, I think a LOT of people think Steve Harris is a great bass player :D . He gets an interesting sound out of a Precision with flatwounds, no?

18. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    up the irons.

19. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Steve is a great bass player plus he writes most of the music for the band also a true pioneer.
    Check out Killers or Piece of mind the list goes on great band all together.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I learned everything I know about playing triplets from Steve Harris.

Truly one of the best metal bassists.