1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Irrational Fears

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blendermassacre, Jun 5, 2012.

1. I feel like everyone has them. Personally, mine are: being cornered in large groups, being late, any animal I can't kill with my bare hands, and any snake larger than 2 feet long.

What are yours?

2. Driving(walking too I guess)over bridges- the bigger, the worse. I've had near-panic attacks. DO NOT LIKE.

3. My ex wife didn't like driving under bridges, because she was irrationally scared that someone would jump off and land on her car.

4. Mine has the same fear(as me)- we tend to white-knuckle each other through it. We're also fairly chicken***t to fly, too. Funny for me, as I love aircraft. :rolleyes:

5. KwinS

KwinS

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    MRI's. Yuck.

6. I wouldn't call that irrational- they're still loud & very uncomfortable aren't they?

7. Maybe, but it probably won't harm you.

8. I certainly could see fearing the potential results

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I don't like cockroaches

10. Yeah, but that ain't fear- and they are effin nasty.

11. Things that have empty, black eyesockets. especially dead things.:crying:

12. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Vertigo sucks. I hate tall bridges, but since there are four of them between Shreveport and Bossier (the ONLY way to go back and forth), I have to just keep calm and hope there wont be a delay that stops traffic and keeps me up there. Funny thing is, I'm not scared of the bridge collapsing (it could) and falling all five or six storeys down - I'm scared of the vertigo itself. I could never hang out on the roof of a tall building.

13. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    Anything about "The Titanic" and birds - especially flocks in the park or beach....absolutely no reason for either.

14. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    The person I know with this fear says it's the approach to the bridge....the arc and the frame of the structure that triggers their vertigo...flat long bridges don't seem to be an issue for this person.

15. I don't like heights so much, but w/bridges, I am deathly afraid of it collapsing. Ironically, I poo-poo non-Cali peeps w/their *earthquakes all the time* stuff- but when I hit the bridge, I KNOW we're about to have *the big one* :atoz:

16. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Yeah, flat bridges that are only 20-30 feet over water don't bug me, but the ones that make a huge arch so that riverboats can pass underneath really get to me. The upward side is the worst. The downward side is a relief. Getting stuck in traffic at the top is a nightmare within a nightmare. Last time it happened, I nearly lost sanity trying not to pass out.

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Im not sure I have any irrational fears. Im sure there is a very rational reason for anything that gives me the willies.

18. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Ditto!! The Forest Hill Bridge still stands as one of the worst. I took a gal up there because it's a beautiful drive through the foothills... she wanted to walk across the bridge. I did it, reluctantly. I was terrified.

If you're in the bay area and you see a vehicle in the center lane going 90 and a continuous scream coming from said vehicle.. it's probably me, get out of the damn way!

19. Forest Hill- up near Auburn?
    ForesthillBridge.gif
    I've ridden the Auburn Ravine- I don't like LOOKING at this damn span.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ooh, I was up near Auburn a week ago! That looks like quite the bridge!