Irritating musicians

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lord of the low, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Drummer

51 vote(s)
  2. Guitarist

101 vote(s)
  3. Vocalist

71 vote(s)
  4. Piano- or keyboardplayer

21 vote(s)
  5. Someone from the hornsection

12 vote(s)
  6. What are you talking about?

28 vote(s)
  1. I know we all need to get along and bla... bla... but I think this is something that everybody recognizes from playing at sessions or even with his/her band.

As bassists most of us are pushed to the background and most fellow musicians don`t pay much attention to us. The keyboardplayer plays so many notes in your frequency range that your groove is not needed and doesn`t sound so groovy anymore, the guitarplayer has forgotten that it was your solo-moment and starts playing in your moment of glory or the singer gets all the spotlight and you are in a dark corner. Even our colleagues in the rythm section can keep changing the beat in a way that your groove does not fit anymore.

Besides the examples above their are general irritations. Guitar is too loud, the soundtechnician forgot the bass, the singer forgot to leave you a groupie at the party, and so on.

I know the story above is a bit exaggerated and is not everday reality but I would like to know wich musicians are most irritating for us bassists.

(My vote is for the keyboardplayers)
  2. Guitarists.. they always want annoying guitarsolo's
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Same here - we just fired out amazingly good pianist because he couldn't hack being a keyboard player - he simply didn't need a band, he was getting in everyone's way. Last straw was when he decided that he could sing too...ARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Guitarists in general, but we ended up firing a drummer. His dad is sort of a jazz legend, and he thought it was hereditary. No practice needed. In the end, we just cut our loses.
  5. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I play with two different groups of guys, but the most annoying is the keyboardist in what I'll call "group B".
    Seems like all he wants to play is ballads, and whines like a little baby if there are no keys in a song we want to play.

Second is the guitar player that wants to be a drummer, and beats the hell out of the things while we are taking break or tearing down (at rehearsal of course).

It was in my profile for a while, but I'll say it again....this band thing is the hardest thing I've ever done.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Good point. However, one cannot forget the ever popular drum solo! The drummer in my last band insisted on doing a drum solo before going into "Hard to Handle." It didn't matter if there were five people in the audience, he made sure he got his solo in!
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    In my new band all the guys are cool.
  8. I'd say a toss up between the keyboard player (no explanation needed there) and the guitarist that claims "Ya, I play Bass too"
  9. In my old band (where I was the singer :oops: ), We had problems with a couple of the players...the keyboardist, who wanted to play on these hard rock songs on his keyboard (his version of Enter Sandman sounds just plain awful), a drummer who only wanted to play Dream Theater and shunned any of his friends who swore (yet he was perveted as the dirtiest mouthed redneck), and a second singer only wanted us to play Christian songs by Third Day and DC Talk and Newsboys...

Yeah....I think you get the picture.... :p
  10. Yeah, Most keyboarders manage to get themselves not very well liked. They can be bloody good players, but just take over and wanna control everything!!

I don't really have a prob with the guitarists i'm working with at the mo, we can just sit down and get some songs written and jsut jam, and then once we are in the band situation we can work together

It's cool
  11. I've played with a couple guitarists that just sucked. One was a good guy, and tried hard, but lacked talent. Other dude thought he was the best, but couldn't hack it. He also had an annoying personallity, and got us in trouble with some bar owners. Doh.

Currently, I dig all the guys. The drummer's young, and needs some experience, and he's got tempo problems. But I'm sure he'll get it all together.
  12. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I voted Drummer, mainly because he almost never wants to practice, dosesnt want to learn the song me and the guitarist want, and he does a lot of unessasary fills at the wrong time, with bad timing most of the time. Wish I new another drummer.:(
  13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Which instrumentalist is the most irritating probably has as much to do with the style of music as it does with the instrument itself. Afterall, many rock bands have no keyboardist or hornplayer and many jazz bands have no guitarist.

It probably boils down to the matter of which instrument "drives" the music, as the guitar usually does in heavy metal or the sax or trumpet frequently does in jazz.

Thus, in many bands the musicians who do not play the lead instrument know their place and don't act up because they know they are expendable. Prima donna traits emerge in those who fancy themselves to be the "star."
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I find that irritating musicians/instrument owners are spread out between instruments (well, in equal proportions. there are more annoying violinists in the world that cello players because violin is more popular, at lease where i am from). I know annoying guitar players, bassists, violinists, keyboardists, drummers/percussionists, cellists... I find bassists that constantly slap, play out of rhythm, use tons of distortion, thinks DB is stupid... are really irritating.
  15. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I'm a keyboarder and I'm use to playing by myself on piano so thats why we tend to be so controlling and self-centered about the band. I also love ballads! But alas I'm also a bass player and anytimes I play bass, I hate the hell out of the keyboard player. He cuts down on your ability to pay your bass line, cuz his bass lines and your bass line put together tends to turn into gibberish.
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ..of all the ones I've had to deal with, the most irritating is me. I've never settled for second seat, or peing pushed out of the spotlight...but I'm really not that good a bass player, so it's it's irritating to me to want to be out there in the spotlight, but noting being able to hold my own in the music. That's irritating...
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

B..b..but, th..that's half of the members here at Talkbass!:eek:
  18. Vocalist, they seem to think they run the show and can be real babies if they don't get their way when they're just along for the ride.
  19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Wow,that must be contageous among drummers.My last drummer would also do a solo before going into "Hard to Handle".

And here I thought that drum solos died in the 80's........