Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is .054" too fat for a G string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brock29609, Jul 28, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The Fender preamp on my Deluxe USA Jazz has a tendency to make my G string sound thin. I'd like a beefier sounding G string, so I want a heavier gauge. I'm currently using 106-84-62-44 gauges. The next heaviest string they have in my kind is a 54 (D string from a lighter set. Should I have any tension problems or any other concerns with a 106-84-62-54 gauge set?

And, oh yea... using a different brand of strings is not an option. I'm stuck on this particular kind.

Thanks!

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It could be how close the g is the pickup. Try lowering it a bit.

I have a .52 flatwound with a high core/wrap ratio on my p-bass and its fine.

3. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The Fender noiseless pickups on this bass have poles that are contoured to mirror the fretboard radius, so the G string is no closer to the pickups than any other string. Thanks.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd think you'd be heading towards 'snap' territory. Are you saying that the G string is noticably thinner sounding than the other strings? Maybe you could try a second D string in that position - tuned to D - to compare with the other D string. That will let you judge if it's something like a problem with the pickup rather than the gauge of the string.

Also, why are you so locked into whatever brand of strings you're using?

Wulf

5. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I've spent hundreds of dollars trying to find the right string for me, and GHS Pressurewounds are it. I've used them on multiple other basses and have never had a week sounding G string before. I think the preamp is to blame. Maybe the noisless pickups. It sounds balanced when played accoustically. It's a new string, so it can't be dead or anything like that.

I can get the G to sound nice and beefy, but not without the lower strings sounding muddy. I get the other three strings sounding nice, and the G sounds thin. Thought a heavier G might do the trick.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm wondering if it is the preamp... or if it's the signal the pickup is sending to the preamp? Your G string doesn't look particularly 'light' to begin with.

How about recording some stuff done on the D string, then moving the D string over to the position of the G string and recording the same stuff there for comparison (still tuned to D - it should still fit fairly comfortably in the bridge and nut slots)?

If it sounds exactly the same, you know that the string gauge is a major factor with that bass. If it sounds thinner, then I think that points to the pickup as the #1 culprit. Once you've found the cause of the problem you'll be better placed to figure out a solution.

Wulf