Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is $1,300 a good price for a new Sunn 300T and a Sunn 215 Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, May 21, 2001.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I found what I think to be a killer deal at the store here in my town (going out of business). Brand new Sunn 300T and 2 15's that the lady told me she could let go for $1300. Notduane tells me that this is an absolutely incredible deal for this amp. What do ya'll think of the amp, and would I be wise to basically sell my life for this amp (just bought a new truck, already knee deep in debt)...?

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    yeah man - that rig new at sam ash is like 1600. i've always wanted to try one, but haven't been able too. looks like it would kick you in the balls though.

3. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    make that 1570 new at sam ash. sunn also evidently makes a 4x12 that samash sells for 570. i've never played thru one, but man, a 4x12 sounds really appealing, y'know?

4. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    Sunn's 4x12 is for guitar.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Oh Captain my Captain :p The price that hunter-
    dude mentioned is for the head AND a 2x15" cab! :eek:

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Depends on how much you like macaroni and cheese;)

7. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    yeah - sunn300 + 2x15 at samash is 1570.

and you're right reid, i'm stupid - the 4x12 is for guitar. peavy makes a bass 4x12 though...

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Alright ya'll......I seriously need some advice here. I've only got a few days left to make up my mind about this amp. The moron guy down at the music store quoted me at $1537 (tax included) today, but the OWNER of the place told me yesterday that it would most likely go to another guy at $1250 if he could come up with the money. Now...it's decision makin' time. I took my bass down and played on it today, and the sound was killer. Got even more tones out of it today with my bass than I did yesterday, and I stayed longer yesterday. So, if I get a few more "heck yeah, good price" out of ya'll, then I'll most likely be makin' the purchase either tomorrow or Thursday. But, if I get some "heck no...bad amp, bad quality", then I'll have to rethink.

BTW, the store closes Saturday, but I need to know ASAP so that I can beat that guy there if he's still interested.

9. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Sounds like a good deal to me.but I prefer the 4x10(just cause thats the one I have).I also have the solid state head,OK,it's a hybrid.The all tube 300T has more rumble imho,I'm just too tired to carry it.

10. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    It is a good price but i too much prefer the 4x10.Good luck!

11. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    man, it's a great price (especially if you get 1250ish). you played on it and said you liked it - wide range of tones...it's definitely not your average everyday swr or eden - 300W all tube! go for it! :)

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

That's all I needed to hear;)

I had already pretty much decided that if there was any possible way I could scrounge that much money together that I was gonna buy it. Now I just gotta convince the parents and see what they think;)

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Alright ya'll......I convinced the parents, and we are going tomorrow to purchase it:D:D I'm hopin' that everybody has had their input on this, cuz it sure seems like a good deal to me. I'll come back with more info tomorrow!

14. good job there Ty. keep us posted!

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Well, I DID get it:D So far, I'm extremely impressed with the amp overall. I can get TONS of different sounds out of it with just the touch of a few buttons. Sadly, I don't have much else to compare it to, considering this is the only tube amp I've ever even played on (besides a gu*tarists crate that I was messin' with at the school:p). It DEFINITELY beats out my little BXR-60 though:D