1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is 100 bucks+ the expected rate for cross country bass shipping?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by KayXero, Nov 30, 2018.

1. KayXero

KayXero Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have a Jazz Bass Id like to sell, but im not sure If Id be able to sell it on here due to shipping costs.

I plan to pack it in its Fender box, and pack that box inside the original Sweetwater box it came in. The problem is that this ends up with a tall box weighing 17 lbs. I live on the east coast...so if someone on the west coast wants to buy the bass...the quotes from Fedex, UPS, and USPS are all over 100 dollars.

Is there a cheaper way to ship? And are the online calculators accurate?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    About $100 is what you should prepare yourself not to be surprised by on the high end. If you're paying significantly more than you should shop around. From New York to California I'd probably end up paying about $80, well packed and insured.

There's also no reason you as the seller have to pay that. There's been a bunch of threads about how people don't want to sell because shipping is so much and I've never understood why they think they have to pay for that. An individual selling his personal bass isn't obligated to offer free shipping.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Also, people are gonna tell you how they shipped a 50 pound box from here to there for twenty bucks and everyone else is getting ripped off. Shipping costs don't cost the same in Wetumpka Alabama and New York City. It's a crap shoot. Quotes are rarely accurate and the "guy in the store" is probably a moron. It'll also be suggested you should sign up for your own shipping account for the discount, but that's really never been significant unless you start selling basses for a living. Bottom line is if you packed it right, it's gonna be expensive to ship, and that's not necessarily your problem.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah just put in the ad that you wanna split shipping. Easy as that. Now shipping is $50.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    If the buyer is ok with it, take the neck off the bass. It will significantly reduce the size of the box, while will bring shipping down.

But yes prepare for around $100 for cross country in a full sized box.

6. When considering package size, weight, location to and from and also what shipping method (standard, two-day, overnight etc.) yes it could very well be close to $100 or more shipping.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I just shipped a bass from ND to CA, and it came to about $93.

8. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Basses are consistently $100 and up for me to ship based on the box size alone from CA.

Add in the insurance charge, declared value fees, signature required fees, residential delivery surcharge, and it adds up quickly.

9. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yesterday I shipped a JCasady w/ohsc from Ohio to Texas $95

10. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

If you go through reverb and use their shipping label, you can probably get NY to CA down to $70, and you can include some or all of that in your asking price. Reverb gets a cut of the sale, of course, but depending on what you are selling, it could be worth it.