Is 100 watts loud enough for...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Apr 17, 2001.

1. ...a small gig? Here's the deal, i just bought a fender bassman 100. It's 100 watts and has plenty of volume for my buddies basement, but do you think it would be loud enough to do small gigs. Like 100-200 people topps? Plus, i would be miked (actually hooked directly) into a 300 watt PA system. My drummer doesnt mic his drums, but one of the guitarists does mic his amp(althoguh its liek 50 watts topps...?) and the other guitarist has a marshall tube amp thats got 2x12's @ 75 watts each(he'll mic it, but keep the volume on his channel very very low...its only for stereo sound and MINOR reinforcement... I know many amps differ, but generally, would this be enough power to do a small gig if i was running through a PA for sound reinforcement?
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think you could use your amp for yourself and PA for the audience.
  3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    If it's such a small gig, then you might be able to get away with it, although you won't have too much headroom. 300 watts seems pretty small for a PA though, and may compromise the sound. I've played similar sized gigs with my 50 watt amp through a PA, and I've gotten away with it, but don't expect too good a sound.
  4. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    I think the term "small gig" is rather vague....

Indoors or outdoors? How big of a room or area? How many people in the audience?
    What type of music?

And what I think the most important factor is: How loud are the drums? Drums these days are much louder than kits from back in the day. Of course, the guy sitting behind them is a huge factor too. If the drummer can play at a moderate level, then the amps don't need to be as large. If the drummer has only two volumes (loud and louder), then the amps need to be larger or need reinforcement. Let's face it. Certain kits are made for heavy rock and certain kits are made for jazz.

Drums too loud cause everyone to turn their amps up. Which makes it hard for the singer(s) to hear their monitors. Which makes the soundman turn up the vocals in the monitors. Which causes feedback. Loud volume also causes ear fatigue, which then makes people turn up.

A wise soundman once said that "there is no sound problem that was ever solved by turning the volume up."
  5. Handful

Apr 13, 2001
    If you are playing in a club that can't run D.I. straight from the head - it is always best to have a bit of headroom.

I used to play through a 200Watt head and needed to set master VOL on 8 (no, it wasn't rap-metal) we we're playin' pop.

Then I moved to a 400Watt head, was able to keep the master on 4 -

It's is good to have the extra headroom when needed
  6. Yes, that's what I use. It'll work if:

1. You DON'T scoop the mids..I boost mids around 400hz.
    2. You make the guitarist play at a normal volume.
    3. You are not playing Metal

I run a P bass with Thomastik Infeld flats through a Sadowsky preamp into my Bassman 100. I DI from the Sadowsky when necessary. It is fine for the country rock and rocknroll we play. The bass rolls around the bar. I use the limiter, and have both gain and volume set around 7.

7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I normally use a 220w valve head and 4x10 (and sometimes a 1x15 as well) for a 400 seater church. I had a Gospel gig in a 1000 seater converted cinema on Easter Sunday. Being lazy I took a 140w 1x15 combo sat it on a chair, aimed at me and pointing towards the drummer. I had it on 6 with the eq flat and added bass and treble from the instrument as required. The amp had a send to a DI box. I also used earplugs!!!

I agree with Andy on 1 2 and 3.
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It sounds to me from the what you wrote that your band is rather cooperative, volume wise. 100w should be enough I think if you are not competing with your other band members and your drummer doesn't hit real hard. I used to play all my practices with a 30w Fender sidekick. That was against a drumkit and a Peavey 130w 1x12. My guitarist intentially kept it down so as not to drowned me out and my drummer played normally... We could all be heard. Now that was just in a garage. In a small gig I would say the 30 wouldn't work... but the 100 should do. (Once again let me say, in a COOPERATIVE environment)
  9. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    GG, you should fill out your profile so that we can get a better idea about the type of music/equipment your dealing with. That said, I have played for more than 1000 people in a large gym using my 100 watt combo. But, your situation might be different. Also, I think I was pushing my amp probably more than I would have liked.
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    100 watts should be enough if you are going to run into the pa, Your cab and amp are mostly for a stage volume, so that you and your band mates can hear what everyones doing. its the pa's job to push the sound to the crowd. Ive played in rock, country, and pop bands, as well as for the church and we've all always been able to talk to each other on stage while playing with out having to shout at each other. And as stated b4 wear ear plugs!!
  11. i played a small metal gig using only a 90 watt combo. but of course the guitarist did play only at moderate levels.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego