Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is 100db sensitivity bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

My Eden D4-10xlt is 106db, the 2-10xlt is 103db, and the D1-18xl is 100db.

How does this compare to, lets say Acme's 93db?

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    In general, anything over 100 dB @ 1W @ 1 meter is really good!

Let's be clear about one thing though, the 93 dB you quoted for Acme is for the Low B-2. The Low B-4 is 96 dB.

Every 3 dB is equivalent to doubling the amplifier power. 10 dB is equivalent to 10 times the power. So a speaker that has a 103 dB sensitivity requires 1/10th the power that a 93 dB speaker does.

Efficiency doesn't come for free though. More efficiency usually means a bigger cab, or a narrower bandwidth.

3. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    No.

4. Rockbobmel

I plan on using the D-118xl with the D-410xlt when I am pushing it with my Eden WT1000. This will net about 300 watts into each at 8 ohms stereo.

On the other hand, when I get my 71 SVT back, I will run the D-410xlt and the D210xlt parallel for a 4 ohm total load. I know how this sounds already.

I don't think the 1-18 with the 4-10 using the SVT will be as loud or punchy. (Hence the 100db question).

It is still hard for me to understand the watts, db, loudness stuff.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    100Db? VERY good. like chuck said, anything at 100 or over is VERY good. I dont think boobinga knows what he's talking about.

6. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Actually, boobinga was right. The thread title was, is 100db sensitivity bad? He said no, no it's not bad. :)

7. Rockbobmel

Great to see someone new from my area especially. Boston is a great city. Lots of music and education minded folks there.

Check out Corey and Justin at Rock City Guitars in Sommerville.

Very Cool people.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Opps, my bad.:rolleyes: thats what i get for being a dumbass!

9. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Here's something to watch out for when you're reading sensitivity specs. Some manufacturers "fudge" the specs on 4 ohm (and lower) cabs. For example, you might see a spec like this made-up example:

104 dB @ 2.83 V RMS @ 1 m

This is a trick. 2.83 V RMS works out to 1 watt at 8 ohms. But driving a 4 ohm cab, it's really 2 watts!

The difference between 1 and 2 watts is 3 dB. So a 4 ohm speaker rated this way has an actual sensitivity of 101 dB.

Of course since every speaker has a different frequency response curve, and every player has a different tone, the actual performance of any cab in real life may not match what the specs say. IMHO, YMMV, IANAL, etc.

10. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    On the other hand, when I get my 71 SVT back,

Didn't you just get your amp out of the shop, somthing like the the fourth trip?

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Greenfield has WRSI, one of the coolest commercial radio stations I've ever heard. And it's not too far from Northampton and Amherst, either. :)

12. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Alright, more Boston people :D I've been to Rock City a few times (love the Bergs). I don't want to get off topic on this topic but could you pm me to tell me if there are any other stores in Boston that carry high end stuff because I can't find a single one.

Thanks

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Actually, it's not a fudge; speaker impedances vary a great deal, so specifying a voltage is a lot more accurate than specifying a power level that is based on a usually false assumption that the speaker impedance is exactly 8 or 4 ohms. The downside is it requires an extra step of interpretation to understand it.

14. Rockbobmel

Actally I'm 92 miles west of Boston on Rte 2. Idon't know of any other stores that are hip lke Rock City. There are the big ones by the music school.

Vic, my amp is with a new tech that Rock City Guitars uses. This amp was not fixed after 4 trips to my former tech. This time he will fix EVERYTHING! I told him to break it if he had to so it will get DONE. ALL of it. Period!

15. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    No offense taken at all. 100 isn't bad at all, and some people report that one cab rated at 98 happens to sound louder than another brand's 102, so who knows anyway!?!